Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Microscopic blood in urine

(4 Posts)
dollywobbles Mon 16-Jan-17 21:38:03

Hello,
I'm writing this in the hope someone will have been through the same thing and have something reassuring to tell me!
Long story short: DH (42, not v healthy really, not ill just doesn't do much exercise and eats a lot of crap) went to GP about 8 weeks ago about excessive weeing. He was waking in the night two or three times for a while. Had tests, no uti. Blood found in dip test. Had scan on kidneys, all ok. Had prostate exam and blood test - all ok. Had some more blood tests, another dip test and suddenly put on a cancer pathway.
He is due to have a flexible cystoscopy this week (as well as lots of other tests).
This could be nothing, couldn't it? It's most likely to be nothing, isn't it?

Tanfastic Mon 16-Jan-17 22:43:29

Yes it's most likely to be nothing - promise!

I'm 43 (female) and went through same last year. I nearly had a nervous breakdown over it. I wasn't put on the cancer pathway because if my age but paid privately to see a urologist to try and hurry the tests along.

I had a urine infection for three months although nothing really showed up at the lab from the culture apart from "mixed growth" and microscopic blood. But I definitely had something because I had an uncomfortable feeling down below and frequent urination. Antibiotics didn't help.

I got referred for a kidney scan (kidney stones etc) and cystoscopy to check for bladder cancer. Everything was clear. However I still have the microscopic blood although my other symptoms just went on their own in the end. I don't think about it anymore.

If it makes you feel better the consultant who did my cystoscopy said that out of every 20 people who have microscopic blood in their wee he only finds an answer for one person (not necessarily cancer either). He said sometimes it's just one of those things.

user1484615313 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:14:21

I am going through this right now. And I think I'm going to pass out from all the freaking out. I'm 39 female and went to see GP with abdominal pain and back pain. Did a urine test found blood in urine and no infection. A few days before I had a horrible cystitis pains but went away after a day. I mentioned this to the gp she said It's probably nothing but sent me to a scan of bladde and kidneys. Found nothing. I'm actually worse now as I have constant urge to urinatue. I also have terrible pains in my joints and body feels like it's throbbing with pins and needles. Back pain is excruciating as well now. Having bloods done in a few days. Also will be passed onto the urologist now. This whole things has been going on for a few weeks now. Have already two sets of antibiotics and no help. Please update as to how he got on and I wish him all the best.

Tanfastic Tue 17-Jan-17 20:35:32

Try not to worry - easier said than done I know , I'd almost dug my own grave I got myself into such a state but to put it into perspective the urologist I saw privately said there was only a 1% chance of it being anything sinister.

By the way a cystoscopy is absolutely nothing to worry about, it's no worse than a smear in terms of uncomfortableness and embarrassment and you get the results instantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now