Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3 year old DD has croupy cough and off to Spain tomorrow. Should we see the doctor??

(2 Posts)
minko Fri 23-Feb-07 15:01:57

She seems in good spirits though a bit hoarse. Has a loud cough but got through the night OK with the humidifier.

Doctors can't do much for croup anyway can they?

YummyMummy34 Fri 23-Feb-07 18:05:01

My DS has had croup a lot of times (everytime he has a cold we hear the baby seal and he is 6!) - steam is what we have been advised and it does the trick. You can use a kettle, steam from the shower or we use a wallpaper steamer (just remember to keep LO away from the hot steam and watch out for your wallpaper!) Croup can be quite scary with a child struggling to breathe and running a temperature.

I have only ever had antibiotics perscribed once when DS had the croupy cough for over a week.

Another trick I use is at the first sign of a cold we cut out dairy products as they apparently increase mucus - it seem to work.

Any doubts, see a Dr or ring NHS Direct. Enjoy your holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now