Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6yo daughter howling with ear ache. Won't take medicine

(14 Posts)
jasper Fri 23-Feb-07 14:47:22

Took her to GP after three days and three nights of pain and tears. He looked in her ears and prescribed Amoxicillin syrup but she won't take it. Not in any form, not in juice etc.She will take paracetamol but won't cooperate with the prescribed meds.

Any thoughts?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Fri 23-Feb-07 14:49:04

Will she take nurofen to help the inflammation ?

bandstand Fri 23-Feb-07 14:49:29

awww. mine are similar with meds. as long she takes paracetamol for the pain that is something, someone once said the antibiotics just clear it up faster, on the other hand you wouldnt want to prolong the pain, or even make the infection spread. have you asked gp's nurse?

ThisFrogIsGonnaWhoopYouAss Fri 23-Feb-07 14:49:42

chocolate?

Mercy Fri 23-Feb-07 14:51:18

Jasper, you can get syringes from the pharmacy - they are for giving younger children & babies medicine but it looks like you may have to force her.

I'm having to do this with my 3 year old atm.

Rosa5 Fri 23-Feb-07 14:52:57

HAve you tried mixing it in with ice cream ? My sister has 'special' ice cream that she uses !!

how old is your DD ? I have a medcine thing its like a dummy with a little container at the back that sometimes works but she is 11 months so quite easy to get medcine in to .

Hope you manage to get medcine in and your dd gets better soon poor thing

misdee Fri 23-Feb-07 14:54:28

just force it down her.

dd1 has just had 2 lots of AB, i offer a drink striaght after each spoonful.

if all else fails, pin her down and our it in (has to pin dd2 down to gets meds into her, reminds me of the rachel scene in friends about putting drops in her eyes)

Tamum Fri 23-Feb-07 14:56:24

There's a school of thought that earaches get better just as fast without antibiotics, but if she's been like this for 3 days I would just make her. A 6 year old is old enough to understand, and she sure as hell doesn't want to end up with mastoiditis.

bobsyouruncle Fri 23-Feb-07 15:00:18

dd (4) had terrible earache recently, dh and I had to pin her down and pour it in. Its worth it, clears up really quickly!

quietmouse Fri 23-Feb-07 15:18:40

you can't leave an ear infection. I would force it down her tbh. At 6, she is old enough to understand why she needs it.

frogs Fri 23-Feb-07 15:27:03

Amoxycillin does taste vile. However, if they have to take it, then thay have to take it. No sympathy, no cajoling, just tell it like it is. If she had diabetes, you'd have to do give her injections, if she needed eye-patching it's that or blindness. Not up for discussion.

In the frogpond the line is:

"You have to take this. You either take it the sensible way, and I will give you a piece of chocolate straight afterwards to take the taste away, or we do it the silly way, and I will hold you down and force it into you. It's your call."

The froglets will usually go for this, but if she really won't (and we've had this with one of my nephews) then you do it by force. It's a two person-job: one to hold her down, with particular attention to the arms, and the other to squirt the syringeful of goo into her mouth. If she spits it out, repeat the process.

jasper Fri 23-Feb-07 16:01:25

thanks all.
Have tried all suggestions except forcing it down and Rosa's ice cream trick.
I am going to force it down when her dad gets home and will try the ice cream trick at some point too.
LIZS same problem with ibuprofen.

She is such a funny kid.
She is tough as old boots and does not flinch getting injections , blood taken, or IV lines put in ( she was in hosp for heart surgery last year)but won't cooperate with medicine.

fizzbuzz Fri 23-Feb-07 16:06:04

Haven't read all the thread. However my doctors don't prescribe anti-biotics for ear infections, as they are apparently self limiting.

I always found that best way to soothe it, is to warm a hanky and place it against the ear,or lie on a hot water bottle covered with a teatowel or something.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now