Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

So called "Javelin Arse"

(13 Posts)
MotherOfBeagles Mon 16-Jan-17 18:45:59

Ok I learnt this term on mumsnet but decided it's very appropriate and I now frequently use it. I only get this pain when due on or during my period and the one time I was pregnant before I had a mc. It can at times be excruciating and wake me up at night in crazy amounts of pain. Then others it's mild and just makes me jump a bit.

Is it normal?

Do I need to see a doctor?

I go to the bloody doctor enough as it is due to recurring chest infections and I'm sick of the place and thought since mumsnet helped me name the damned thing someone else might be able to help me shed some light.

Also I know no one here is a doctor and if they are they can't advise on particular cases I'm just looking for general knowledge before the naysayers jump in.

BishopBrennansArse Mon 16-Jan-17 18:50:24

Mine was diagnosed as endometriosis so might be worth seeing a GP.

MotherOfBeagles Mon 16-Jan-17 21:44:30

bishop thanks I am worried about that as every time I google it that comes up. Although tbh I know very little about it!

user1483804139 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:56:52

I get it sometimes. Always when I'm on my period too. Bloody kills . I think ita normal?

BishopBrennansArse Mon 16-Jan-17 22:03:17

It's so variable. There are various treatments, the worst bit was the laparoscopy to diagnose but even then I recovered in a few days.

The 12 pain free years I've had since we're worth it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-Jan-17 07:04:35

The GP should refer you onto a gynae for further evaluation. Would also suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already so.

I used to get this during menses as well; in my case the cause was endometriosis.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Tue 17-Jan-17 07:10:49

It sounds like endometriosis. User & OP - go to the GP and ask for a referral to gyne.

KevinMcCallister Tue 17-Jan-17 12:09:24

I get javelin arse when ovulating. Normal apparently. Its awful.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-Jan-17 13:22:37

Ovulation pain should not be very painful or go on for hours on end, if it is painful like this the cause should be determined.

WrappedInBitsOfSilver Tue 17-Jan-17 19:19:50

I used to get this too, around my period and it was awful. Sudden, agonising, hugely embarrassing if you're with anyone at all and have to come up with an explanation.

I got a kegel 8 machine for the beginnings of urinary incontinence (3 vaginal births, lots of stitches) I got the tight and tone one as it was cheaper and it has been brilliant - no more dribbles and as a side effect that I've only just twigged about, no more javelin arse!! I don't work for the company that makes them btw, just thought you might find it interesting to have a look at their website. The customer services team is fab and really helpful if you have problems. Perhaps javelin arse is something to do with weakened pelvic floor muscles??

MotherOfBeagles Tue 17-Jan-17 20:37:40

Sounds interesting silver might have a nosey.

ExplodingCarrots Tue 17-Jan-17 20:48:01

I get this sad Also during my period. It's excruciating. My mum gets it bad too. It makes me cry in pain sometimes.

KevinMcCallister Tue 17-Jan-17 20:51:27

Old my doc about the ovulation pain at my last smear Atilla. She smiled/grimaced sympathetically and said it was normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now