Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

By what age should the fontanelle close over?

(24 Posts)
IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 11:44:55

DS1 is 2.3 (nearly) and still has a soft spot on his head, which I don't think has got any smaller in the last couple of months. The HV has got me all worried about it as well, as she says that if it doesn't get any smaller in a month, I need to take him to the peadiatrician.

He did have a large head (38cm circumference at birth-no wonder he got stuck!)

Anyone?

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:01:23

anybody?

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:08:23

Sorry, I'm really imaptient, but it's worrying me greatly

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:08:23

Sorry, I'm really imaptient, but it's worrying me greatly

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:08:50

So much so I had to post the same thing twice

itsmeNDaveP Fri 23-Feb-07 12:11:38

I thought it was around 18 months old ?

BTW that is just what I thought, not medical fact, so please don't panic on the basis of my (uninformed) answer !

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:13:25

That's what the HV said.

When I told her DSs hadn't closed, a look of panic came across her face (helpful)

MegaLegs Fri 23-Feb-07 12:13:37

IGW this is my big worry with DS4 although he does have SN. His fontanelle is still big. The neurologist we saw last week said it should be closed but he has seen children as old as 3 with a large gap still.
I have asked about this before and I think one of Hunker's DSs had a late closing fontanelle.

Was he delivered by CS? HV said that CS babies heads take longer to close as they didn't get squeezed.

MegaLegs Fri 23-Feb-07 12:14:23

My DS is 20 months BTW.

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 12:16:45

Yes he was, but after he was squeezed in the birth canal

(his massive nut got stuck, and no amount of forceps or ventouse was going to budge the little bugger)

MegaLegs Fri 23-Feb-07 12:20:12

Ouch! Poor him and poor YOU!

If I get any feedback about DS4's fontanelle I'll let you know.

Nemo2007 Fri 23-Feb-07 12:27:08

on will just feel dd1s head

Nemo2007 Fri 23-Feb-07 12:28:27

right DD1 is 14mths and has a bit open about the same size as tip onf my little finger. Dont know if that helps at all.

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 13:14:56

DS1s is about the size of a 50p coin

GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 23-Feb-07 13:22:20

ds2 still has a large fontanelle at 13 1/2 months and the (US) paediatrician (sp) is already freaking out about it and telling me he needs to be taking some kind of supplement. He was a VBAC but has a huge head (-which she is also freaking out about). I have a big head myself though, so I don't see why I should be worrying. Anyone know why it is an issue?

GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 23-Feb-07 13:22:57

Sorry, he was a VB!

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 23-Feb-07 13:33:00

Blimey GGM.

(btw, with a name like that, are you a Frank Zappa fan?)

GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 23-Feb-07 19:50:50

No IGW, I have no idea who Frank Zappa is! My MN name is from Maggie and the Ferocious Beast

Can I ask what the "blimey" was referring to?

lemonaid Fri 23-Feb-07 19:59:17

I have a friend whose 2yo's fontanelle hasn't closed (also has a huge head) and he has been referred to a paediatrician and will be seeing one within the next couple of weeks. They were told the same thing -- should have closed by 18 months. He was an elective c/s baby so that's interesting.

SpawnChorus Fri 23-Feb-07 20:16:45

Not sure if this is any help, but DD's soft spot closed over reeeaally early (by 9 months I think). Was dead worried. Doc kept taking head measurements for a while, but all seemed to be ok. I'm sure there's a great deal of variation on closure of soft spots.

Overrun Fri 23-Feb-07 20:24:26

I'm going to have to check dt2 tomorrow who is 2.4, and not sure if his has closed completely. also a C section

ghosty Fri 23-Feb-07 20:37:17

My DD was being 'investigated' last year as her fontanelle hadn't closed by 2. At 2.5 it was still big (old 50p piece size)
She is 3 now and it has just gone.
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with her. HV panicked, doctor panicked, paed panicked. She had hearing tests, x - rays, developmental tests, speech assessments - the LOT ...
NOTHING ...
She's fine ...
IGW ... is your DS doing everything else ok? Nothing else worrying you? If he is hitting his milestones etc then don't panic ...

ghosty Fri 23-Feb-07 20:37:58

She was born by CS btw.

IntergalacticWalrus Sat 24-Feb-07 14:24:29

Thanks eveyone

(GGM, the Blimey was meant to be [art of a longer sentence, which I have now forgotten. I get easily sidetracked I think it was that they are worrying abiyt the fontanelle at 13.5 months.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now