Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Black poo

(19 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Sun 15-Jan-17 17:46:37

Sorry for the title, but I'm really worried about DH.
He had stomach pain on the LH side all over Christmas, but I put it down to the bug. Today, he's said that his poo' s been black for about a week.
I've told him to see the Dr ASAP, but he's procrastinating.
I've had breast cancer so am in the kitchen, cooking Sunday Dinner, in total meltdown.
Does anyone have any idea of what it could be & ideas of how to get him to our lovely GP?

Topseyt Sun 15-Jan-17 17:53:58

He should see his GP regarding any unexplained change in bowel habits and movements.

I don't know anything about what it could be. It does happen to me though if I have been drinking red wine. grin That is only one cause though. He should get it checked out.

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 15-Jan-17 17:54:27

Iron tablets cause black poo.

Has he been drinking Guinness?

Couchpotato3 Sun 15-Jan-17 17:55:25

Black poo can be altered blood e.g. from an ulcer. It's not normal and he definitely needs to get checked out pronto. GP tomorrow, no messing, don't take no for an answer.

bigredboat Sun 15-Jan-17 17:55:58

It can be a sign of bleeding in the upper digestive system, he should definitely get checked out.

MichaelSheensNextDW Sun 15-Jan-17 17:58:05

GP tomorrow without exception.
I take it he isn't on warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac? If so he mustn't take any more until he's been seen.
If you've got through breast cancer and he's being a dilettante about this I'd be having a meltdown AT him tbh.

7to25 Sun 15-Jan-17 17:59:37

Black tarry poo is digested blood. It usually takes quite a bit of upper GI Tract blood to do this.
GP ASAP before it is Casualty.

Topseyt Sun 15-Jan-17 18:04:09

Just from memory though, and I am going back avoid few years now, I think it was one of the symptoms when my MIL had a peptic ulcer.

My MIL never ever got any of her problems checked out. The ulcer perforated her gut and we had to get her blue-lighted to hospital for a blood transfusion.

Not trying to panic you, and as I said, some food and drink can be a cause too. It does demonstrate though that he should go to his GP. Make him an appointment perhaps?

GizmoFrisby Sun 15-Jan-17 18:04:16

I was going to ask about Guinness. Hope he's ok op. I'd get him an app with GP flowers

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 15-Jan-17 18:04:31

Unless he's taking iron tablets then black poo is usually due to bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. The red blood is 'digested' and changes colour as it passes through. It's also usually sticky, like tar, and v smelly.

Several causes but stomach ulcers is v common. It's been going on for. It needs to be investigated and, since it's been going on for a week now, this means he's been losing blood for a week. This can't continue. This happened to the DH of a friend of mine - didn't tell her and she only found out when he collapsed from blood loss and had to be 999ed and was v ill. It was due to an ulcer and has been treated and is fine now.

Call 111 now. Don't let him ignore it any longer.

Topseyt Sun 15-Jan-17 18:05:56

*a few years. Stupid autocorrect.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 15-Jan-17 18:06:47

This really can't wait for a routine GP appointment.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 15-Jan-17 18:11:52

My dad had black poo when he was riddled with cancer. I'm sure it's not the only cause as explained above but for gods sake don't let him leave it any longer. I really hope everything's ok.

FrancesNiadova Sun 15-Jan-17 18:12:18

No Guinness and no iron tablets. He's had stomach pain on the LH side and in his back.
I'll phone the GP tomorrow even if he doesn't.

NicknameUsed Sun 15-Jan-17 18:18:59

It sounds like he is in denial. Ditto what everyone else says. He needs to see a doctor ASAP

crookedhooker Sun 15-Jan-17 18:21:18

GP asap definitely. I had black poo for quite a few weeks and ignored it. It was a slow bleeding ulcer which then burst and I almost died. I was 19 at the time. I too had a pain in my side.

GizmoFrisby Sun 15-Jan-17 19:13:20

After reading tft I'd call 111

FrancesNiadova Sun 15-Jan-17 19:25:59

Thanks everyone. We've been married for 21 years and together for 26 years. DH has coped with my cancer and life-changing injury. He's always been the rock of the family.
Our GP is wonderful, so I'm going to phone him tomorrow and tell him all DH' s symptoms.
Thanks everyone, I'm not fussing or going mad, I know that this is serious and needs addressing asap. I'll be on it in the morning.

Badders123 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:24:19

Now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now