Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diazepam

(10 Posts)
kkgirl Fri 23-Feb-07 09:41:37

Hi

Can anyone offer me any advice on taking Diazepam.
I have had a trapped nerve in my neck which is causing severe shoulder and arm pain and pins and needles in my pain.
I have been taking co-codamol for 6 weeks now, and seeing an osteopath for 4. I went to the GP yesterday as I am unable to go to work and he has prescribed Ibruprofen Gel and Diazepam 2mg.
I am worried about taking this as the side effects look horrendous and I know it is Valium which my parents took years ago for depression.

skinnymouse Fri 23-Feb-07 09:42:43

he is obviously using it as a short term measure as a relaxant for your neck and shoulder muscles, at 2mg I wouldnt worry

kkgirl Fri 23-Feb-07 09:43:53

Thanks Skinnymouse

That worries me too, what happens in a couple of weeks if it still isn't better?

skinnymouse Fri 23-Feb-07 09:48:56

i would imagine they'll take you off them and try somthing else, you wont be left on them long term. I suffered with something similar and was tried on about 5 different medications until one worked, then weaned off that one.

HTH

blondehelen Fri 23-Feb-07 09:53:06

Personally I wouldn't take diazepam, very rarely give it now. Have you had gabapentin. Supposed to be very good for nerve pain

mosschops30 Fri 23-Feb-07 09:59:41

kkgirl I get diazepam for flying (hate it and need to be calmed down ).

Diazepam is still widely used but like a lot of 'old' medication it is used for different things, not depression anymore or as a long term medication. It is widely used as a relaxant for many different reasons (like nerve pain) and wont be used as a long term measure.

Pimmpom Fri 23-Feb-07 10:36:18

kkgirl - I was prescribed diazapam when my back went into spasm. I too was very wary of taking them. I did end up taking two (out of 20). I had one before going to bed, so my back muscles would relax.

It did help and I only needed it for 2 nights.

HTH xx

kkgirl Fri 23-Feb-07 10:58:58

Thanks Girls

I am still a bit nervous about taking it. Can I take it as and when for the pain, its 2mg three times a day or does it have to be regular, in which case I might take one a day to see how I get on

Pimmpom Fri 23-Feb-07 13:24:40

Yes, I was told one three times a day as well. The GP did say I could just try at night, so I could sleep.

What she did tell me to keep taking was the nurofen/iboprofen as these would get the inflammation down.

Of course, my problem was probably different from yours.

Wish you better.

kkgirl Sun 25-Feb-07 09:55:38

Well, I took one of the tablets last night, was woken by DS2 after 2 hours being sick.
After that, my mind was racing, not worries, but weird stuff and I feel a bit odd this morning, neck and shoulder still painful though.

Not sure if I want to continue with these tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now