Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone any experience of travelling arthritis?

(8 Posts)
h0rsewithn0name Sat 14-Jan-17 21:00:59

Can I tell you my Mum's experience?

Mum is 80, but very healthy. She cleans her own windows, cuts her grass, uses the buses independently etc. In the last three months she has been having quite severe joint pains - maybe in her hands for a few days, then her neck for a few days, then her feet, you get the picture.

She has been to her GP, but she felt a bit fobbed off. The Dr diagnosed travelling arthritis and suggested anti-inflammatory tablets which she has been taking, but don't help at all.

Obviously she is at an age where this sort of illness is inevitable. My question really, is whether or not she should have had any blood test or referral?

Has anyone got any experience of this? I have suggested that she goes back to the GP, but Mum is a stubborn mule and feels there isn't any point.

Any thoughts appreciated.

MollyHuaCha Sat 14-Jan-17 22:57:50

I'm a little younger than yr M wink and I have migratory arthritis. Currently in hands, wrists and neck. I also have an auto immune condition of which this arthritis is part. I take anti-inflammatory medicines daily. Full sympathies to yr M from me!

Hulababy Sun 15-Jan-17 08:01:09

I have a form of arthritis that affects different joints at different times. I have been in a range of medication for a few years now as well as prescription strength pain killers and I still-inflammatory medications.

Has she seen the rheumatologist at all?

Hulababy Sun 15-Jan-17 08:01:48

I'm also a lot younger - early 40s and diagnosed in late 30s

PurpleMcPants Sun 15-Jan-17 08:07:07

I have something called palindromic rheumatism which sounds very similar, attacks come on very quickly and affect random joints (although it is usually my hands/fingers). I think the main difference with pr is that it doesn't damage the joints long term. But I had many x-rays and blood tests and rheumatologist visits first, has her gp done any tests or referrals? I was in my early 30s when I was diagnosed and I've had to try out several different anti inflammatories until I found one that worked for me. If hers aren't working she should go back anyway to try something else but I'm not surprised she felt fobbed off if her gp hasn't done anything.

h0rsewithn0name Sun 15-Jan-17 08:26:06

Thank you all for your replies.

I know she is in her later years, but she definitely felt that the Dr shrugged his shoulders, as if she was expecting a miracle cure. She wasn't, but if there is a route to diagnosis or better medication I feel she deserves this.

By the way, this isn't a Dr bashing thread in any way. I have massive respect for the NHS and have been grateful for it many times. Perhaps the GP expected her to try self help first and to go back if it doesn't work.

Back to the Dr I think.

pithivier Sun 15-Jan-17 09:24:18

I have this diagnosis too and have had medication, X-ray and physiotherapy. I was really surprised, as I assumed that I would, like your mum, just get meds. I do think though that there is little gain from the physio as the arthritus is degenerative.

One thing that has helped is a shoulder electric heat pad. The physio recommended heat to,relieve pain it really does work. Also as well as the medication I use a rub called Voltarol which is amazing. DP has chronic arthritus in his hands and voltarol is the only thing that eases the pain.

Footle Sun 15-Jan-17 10:39:21

Has her vitamin D level been checked ? Deficiency can cause severe aches and pains in different parts of the body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now