Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump under skin

(12 Posts)
Purplecarpet Sat 14-Jan-17 12:45:26

I've just discovered a lump under the skin, on my side, just above the hip. It's flattish, probably just less than an inch big and feels soft and not sore. Seems mobile. My sensible head tells me it's probably nothing but I've a problem with anxiety so I tend to think the worst. I hoping it's just a fatty lipoma or something. I've made a doctors appointment for Friday but to stop me freaking out in the meantime and prevent me from googling, has anyone had similar?
Thanks.

Redfluffysocks Sun 15-Jan-17 10:32:16

Bumping this for you so someone might come along and reassure you. Know you suffer from anxiety.

hmsbismark Sun 15-Jan-17 10:36:30

I have had several benign cysts which sound like the type of lump you describe. Try to pop in to see your GP and don't worry in the meantime (I know, easier said than done) flowers

Purplecarpet Sun 15-Jan-17 15:15:02

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've got docs appointment on Friday so hopefully she will be able to put my mind at rest.

nobodyreallyknowsme Sun 15-Jan-17 15:17:32

Hey sounds like a lipoma - if it's mobile and soft etc- good to get it checked out at docs tho. I have a few on arms and they are all
Lipomas

Purplecarpet Sun 15-Jan-17 17:40:21

Thank you Nobody. I appreciate that.

BigBroIsWatching Mon 16-Jan-17 00:41:21

I have lipomas. They are I my lower back, near hips and spine. Small, smooth moveable lumps. Always best to get any lump checked out, anxiety can make you worry intensely (I have health anxiety) but from how you've described, it does sound similar.

Purplecarpet Mon 16-Jan-17 07:58:27

I'm hoping that's all it is Bigbrols. I do suffer from anxiety so don't know how I'm going to cope till Friday and just hoping doc can tell me straight away what it is without having to go for further tests. It's the waiting around that gets my imagination fired up. I've got to stop with the "what ifs" 🙁

U2HasTheEdge Mon 16-Jan-17 08:24:34

I am smothered in lipomas. I mean hundreds, clusters of 20 small ones in areas as well as bigger ones. I could have decrums disease.

Mine hurt like hell (that isn't normal- hence the decrums query) and they are soft, movable and a kind of rubbery texture. The fact that it is soft and moves is a great sign and most likely a lipoma or a cyst.

I have health anxiety as well so really do get your fear. My GP knew what my first lipoma was just by touch so hopefully you will get instant reassurance as well.

U2HasTheEdge Mon 16-Jan-17 08:25:18

Sorry Dercums, not decrums.

Purplecarpet Mon 16-Jan-17 21:55:02

Thank you U2. I've calmed down a bit. All these replies are really helping me.

BigBroIsWatching Tue 17-Jan-17 11:27:50

Yes my GP also knew it was a lipoma from touch, no testing necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now