Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have thrush *sob sob*

(24 Posts)
shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 01:27:40

I think I have thrush - don't think I've had it before and it's so horrible!

I'm breastfeeding and everything I've read online says that you can't take oral medication for it.

What can I take? I can't wait for a GP's appointment because it's so painful. Will the cream be okay? Will the pharmacist refuse to sell it to me (I've read a few stories of this ...!)

I can't eat yogurt or chuck a spoonful up there as I'm dairy free for allergy reasons.

Please help!!

TrustySnail Sat 14-Jan-17 01:33:52

Are you able to use pessaries when breastfeeding? I think they do the same thing as oral medication. You can get a pessary on its own or in conjunction with cream, I think.

Pompatrol Sat 14-Jan-17 01:36:38

If you mean vaginal thrush, then yes you can use cream, pessaries etc but not the tablet.
If you mean breast thrush then I don't know.
Sympathies, Hope you get some relief soon! flowers

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 01:38:11

Hello! I'm not sure? Do you think the pharmacist will just sell me them or will they ask questions? confused worried I'll have to wait until Monday. If I thought anywhere was open or I'd have left already!

Rubyslippers7780 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:39:26

If you can go into a chemist and ask the actual pharmacist they should be able to advise.

Nzou1050 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:40:02

You can use pessary and cream when breastfeeding (I checked with pharmacist) but it does sat on the canesten box that it should only be used if it's not the first time you've had thrush. First time it says see a dr not sure why.

Pompatrol Sat 14-Jan-17 01:40:03

Ps you can buy canesten cream, pessaries etc off the shelf in supermarkets so you don't need to go to a pharmacy. If you want reassurance check NHS websites but make sure you type in vaginal thrush otherwise all the info that comes up is about breast thrush.

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 01:40:20

@pompatrol yes, vaginal thrush sad thank you. I've no idea what's triggered it either.

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 01:42:17

Oh, @pompatrol I'm so relieved! I bloody hate talking to people about stuff like this - overworrying I'll give the wrong answer!

I'll pop to Sainsbury's tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone! smile

Pompatrol Sat 14-Jan-17 01:42:24

Yes good point about it being the first time, in case it's something else I guess.

TrustySnail Sat 14-Jan-17 01:43:26

I sent my DH to get one for me once - first question the pharmacist asked him was "is it for someone you know?" confused.

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 15:56:27

I went to the pharmacy today and bought the pessary and cream and it was fine - no questions, just £15...!

However, I'm now experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my lower abdomen - is this pretty standard or not?...

Any tips for avoiding this? Thanks, ladies!

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 16:16:52

Anyone? blush

UnderbeneathsiesTheMistletoe Sat 14-Jan-17 16:22:46

You say you're bf a baby?
Have you just given birth?

Have you a vaginal/ utterine infection? I think a GP visit may be in order. You may have some gynae infection that the wise women in the internet cannot diagnose. You've asked for help with thrush, and the advice is correct if you have got thrush but we cannot tell, and now you're saying you have abdominal pain.......

Please see your GP as you could be infected with something a lot worse than a fungus in your vag. Better safe than sorry.

Hope you get a quick appointment, and congrats on your baby!

dressinggownsandkidsintowns Sat 14-Jan-17 16:22:47

Yup that's standard

dressinggownsandkidsintowns Sat 14-Jan-17 16:24:00

Oops just caught on to the new. Baby bit blush congrats but go dr to get checked in case it's an infection

phuckingfonics Sat 14-Jan-17 16:25:16

You may have an infection rather that thrush. You should see a doc.

Secondly thrush, nipple or vaginal may be treated with anti fungal tablets like fluconazole

TrustySnail Sat 14-Jan-17 16:25:50

I haven't personally experienced stabbing pains associated with thrush (or pessary use). Have you ever had pains like this before?

KenzieBoosMummy Sat 14-Jan-17 16:25:55

Phuckingfonics - She can't take Fluconazole if pregnant x

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 16:26:15

@UnderbeneathsiesTheMistletoe Baby is 16 months old so no new trauma or infection. I don't think this justifies an OOH appointment so maybe I'll just see how it goes up until Monday. Urgh! I never imagined something so common was so uncomfortable.

@dressinggownsandkidsintowns so no worrying and ride it out?

Thanks, both!

KenzieBoosMummy Sat 14-Jan-17 16:26:24

NOT pregnant sorry I meant Breastfeeding duh haha x

phuckingfonics Sat 14-Jan-17 16:31:27

You are wrong.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-Fluc

dressinggownsandkidsintowns Sat 14-Jan-17 16:31:59

Ahh 16months yup I would say normal for me takes a week or so to stop totally with pessary and cream

shakeyospeare Sat 14-Jan-17 16:32:33

I've had cysts in the past (have had endo for years, too) but it doesn't feel like that.

Think I'll give the stuff chance to work and see how it goes - I don't feel unwell or anything, just really uncomfortable. If still like this by Monday, I'll call the GP then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now