Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I be worried about constipation?

(10 Posts)
Brownhair123 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:38:21

I've been low carbing since September, with a few glitches (couple of weekends off, two weeks eating like a carby pig over Christmas).

Before Christmas I had an episode of constipation which lasted about 10 days (not no pooing -tmi- just struggling). This went away when I ate anything I wanted.
Back to low carbing this week, and it's starting again.

I would rather not stop low carbing as its to control anxiety (works very well), and I need to lose weight, and I think I have some sort of sugar/carb addiction - if I eat bread/potatoes I can't stop eating, low carbing means I have more control over will power etc

Should I be concerned?
Is there anything I can do to stop it happening? I am making an effort to drink loads and to eat lots of veg, but this is an area that I'm a bit crap at!

debka Fri 13-Jan-17 19:01:01

I also eat lchf and have similar issues. I eat Greek yoghurt with flaxseed (sprinkly stuff in a red packet from Lidl) which sorts me out! Also plenty of fat, veg and water.

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Fri 13-Jan-17 19:13:03

You can purchase herbal supplements for constipation. I found potters brand to be most effective.

I think constipation is a common when someone changes their diet, however it should sort itself out in time.

Out of curiosity, as I too experience anxiety, how does it all work?

Brownhair123 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:31:27

Yoghurt - I've recently realised that I'm having palpitations when I eat yoghurt, so I'm avoiding it at the moment.

Anxiety - I've no idea how it works, I still feel anxious but I don't get the physical symptoms as much, so it's much easier to manage. I've read this could be linked to gluten, but I daren't mention it to my GP because she doesn't hold much truck with that sort of thing!

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Fri 13-Jan-17 20:32:46

Thanks, brown. I appreciate it. I'll have a look into it.

Brownhair123 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:38:51

Although I'm quite anxious about the constipation at the moment grin so it's not perfect!

I've ordered some of the herbal things, thanks.
I'm going to look out for some flaxseed as well, thank you.

MountainDweller Fri 13-Jan-17 23:22:03

Ground flaxseed could be sprinkled on cereal or porridge if you eat it (maybe not if low carbing!). Or sprinkled on salads or even veg would taste ok. You could grind your own - I use a coffee blender and keep in the fridge, do in small batches as the oils apparently deteriorate if left for too long. You need about a tablespoon to have much effect!

Brownhair123 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:59:38

Thank you smile

user1475253854 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:41:49

You could add some soups in as they'll be low carb.

Brownhair123 Sat 14-Jan-17 11:42:44

That's a good idea, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now