Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone happy to share their shingles experience?

(14 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:03:49

I have a pain in my right side and rib and back. Feels like a trapped nerve or pulled muscle. The doctor thinks it's probably shingles with the rash yet to appear. Have been given a prescription of the anti vitals but told only to take them if the rash appears. Feel paralysed with fear. Have small dc s and a busy job and now feel like I am waiting for something to happen. It's going to be bad right?

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Fri 13-Jan-17 13:06:34

I've had it twice. Neither have been particularly painful, although l did take the anti virals both times.

However, the second time, l was extremely weak for about 4 0r 5 weeks after. The first time l was fine, but l was 20 years younger.

onedayatatime73 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:28:27

Did you take the anti vitals before the rash appeared? Or do I need to wait?

Jollyjinglest Fri 13-Jan-17 13:33:13

Also had it twice.

First time was all around my back and stomach. Lots of blisters, painful and I felt very ill. Took quite a long time to go.

Second time was a breeze. I came out in one blister, contacted my GP who is also a homoeopath, he prescribed me something homeopathic and it shrivelled up and disappeared!

I still have scars from the first lot of shingles though sad

antimatter Fri 13-Jan-17 13:36:20

I had shingles whilst pregnant with my first child. Lots of pain and no rash.
it lasted around 4 weeks.

My BIL had it on his face and had to have 2 weeks off with blisters and pain.

onedayatatime73 Fri 13-Jan-17 15:01:51

I keep checking for the rash! I've got the prescription and the doctor said don't take it in case turns out not to be, but wondering whether to take anyway as if it is shingles will it help prevent its voracity?

Jollyjinglest Fri 13-Jan-17 15:05:21

Don't take the anti virals unless it actually starts

onedayatatime73 Fri 13-Jan-17 15:32:44

Why not - wont it help stop it in its development in case? Am not coping well with the prospect of being ill. Have so much on.

Jollyjinglest Fri 13-Jan-17 16:27:19

Wouldn't your doctor have told you to do that? Your doctor said to wait

You can't take them in advance and stop shingles from happening. It doesn't work like that

Nobody has time to get ill. You just have to let other people help or take a step back and only do the nescessary things

Try not to worry

onedayatatime73 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:52:31

Is this what it looks like?

Copout Sun 15-Jan-17 22:25:23

Yes that is what mine looked like

hanban89 Sun 15-Jan-17 23:02:34

I had it without the rash ever coming. It was very painful. The GP said sometimes the rash doesn't appear. I was 7/8 months pregnant and felt pretty lousy anyway so not sure if it made me feel worse.

user1469300540 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:48:23

I had it down my back and neck. Was extremely painful for me (worse than child birth!!). Was off work for about 10 days. Unfortunately my nerves were damaged and I still suffer from the pain today (6 years post shingles!) when I'm run down etc. Dr did prescribe me something to try and repair damage but it didn't work.

Rest lots if you can! Hope you feel better soon.

Blueredballoon Sat 04-Feb-17 20:55:10

I had it and it was very painful at first but then not too bad. I had the rash and blisters all down one side of my neck and back. It lasted for about a month- the blisters etc for about 10 days and then I was very fatigued for a couple of weeks after.

Nothing really helped that much to be honest, but it wasn't completely unmanageable with lots of rest. I would get very very tired. I hope you feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now