Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you travel with an 11mo recovering from chicken pox and a lung infection?

(9 Posts)
NewDKmum Thu 22-Feb-07 17:29:17

Hiya

I need some advice, please. My dd (11 months) caught chicken pox about 3 weeks ago. After having recovered from that she suddenly developed a high fever. We took her to the A&E on Tuesday and they diagnosed a lung infection and put her on antibiotics and Calpol/Nurofen.

We mentioned to the nurse that we were due to take a flight on Saturday (to DK for my MIL's 60th), and she said that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just not so sure. I don't think she is contagious, but is she not at high risk from picking up something else on top of it all?

Advice on what you would do, would be much appreciated!

ruty Thu 22-Feb-07 17:36:07

i wouldn't. Unless she really picks up and seems much better tomorrow. Don't know how long the flight is but flying with a sick child must be extra stressful for everybody.

MordecaiAliVanAllenOShea Thu 22-Feb-07 17:42:08

What is DK?

Piffle Thu 22-Feb-07 17:43:38

where is it, how far from you and will your dd get plenty of rest when you're away

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 17:44:57

do you mean denmark? how long will she have been taking the ab's by the time of the flight?

bambi06 Thu 22-Feb-07 17:51:28

when my dd had chickenpox and had a secondary infection caused by the chickenpox which caused her breathing problems she was given immune boosting drugs as apparetnly i was told by a&e that chickenpox really knocks your immune system and to keep her away from anybody tha twas ill plus to try and keep her away from other children..so beware and check again with dr about advice

NAB3 Thu 22-Feb-07 17:54:26

You will probably need to check with the airline. They won't let you travel if your DD is still infectious from chicken pox.

NewDKmum Thu 22-Feb-07 18:52:57

Thanks for your replies!

Yeah, we will be flying to Denmark which is a 1½-2 hours flight and we will be staying with family, so she will be able to rest plenty.

I have taken away the Calpol and Nurofen now, and she doesn't seem to need it anymore. She seems well in herself, but will be needing antibiotics until Sunday and will have been taking them for 3½ days at the time of our flight.

The chicken pox is definitely not infectious anymore, and I don't believe the lung infection is either.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 18:55:37

in my experience children are usually pretty perky so far into the ab's so should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now