Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adult tonsil removal?

(21 Posts)
Ibloodyhatethomasthetankengine Wed 11-Jan-17 18:43:51

Anyone had it done?

Am at the end of my tether with tonsil-trouble and need to take action, but am hearing horro stories of adult tonsillectomies.

Anyone been through it and is it worth it for the long-term gain?

Mrsmorton Wed 11-Jan-17 18:44:58

Yes. Yes it was worth it. It was very sore afterwards. Don't underestimate that. But it passed.

My voice changed and a couple of other issues but definitely worth it.

Blossomdeary Wed 11-Jan-17 18:45:54

Mine were removed at age 5, but inadequately so had to be removed again as an adult. There are potential complications with adult tonsillectomy, mainly haemorrhage, but these are well know and thus well catered for with proper observation and precautions.

Ibloodyhatethomasthetankengine Wed 11-Jan-17 18:47:02

Thank you! How long was it before you felt 'normal' again? I have two very young children and limited childcare options locally, but I can work around that if family can come and stay.... Just wondering how long it was before you felt 'up and 'at 'am'?

Sunnydaysrock Wed 11-Jan-17 18:49:17

I had mine removed when I was 20. It hurt alot. But so worth it. I'm sure I was over the worst in a week.

Mrsmorton Wed 11-Jan-17 19:22:38

2 weeks probably but you'll be wiped out with young children I think. Also my dr wasn't keen on me commuting to work by public transport afterwards so you should be wary of picking up bugs from the children and delaying your recovery.

Ilovewillow Wed 11-Jan-17 19:34:48

My husband has his taken out three yrs ago, it was painful and he felt pretty rough for a week but pretty much recovered after two. I had mine out at aged 11 and in contrast healed quickly. My husband doesn't regret it at all as he'd been very poorly with recurrent tonsillitis and a quinsey.

delilahbucket Sat 14-Jan-17 15:31:12

Had mine done. Best decision ever. Took me two weeks to recover as I got an infection. Was no worse than tonsillitis for me, but then I always became extremely poorly with tonsillitis and couldn't swallow a single thing which made it worse. I was out of hospital the next day. Mine did go wrong as I had previously had quinces on one tonsil so they struggled to remove it due to scarring.
I still get earache (whereas before I got earache and the swollen tonsils) but I can cope with that.

Twirlstwirlstwirls Sat 14-Jan-17 15:37:16

Same as Mrs - I was so over getting tonsillitis every time I was run down, then I had 8 spells of tonsillitis in 6 months and was utterly sick of it (had also had some pretty awful reoccurring tonsil stones too) so had them taken out.

The 2/3 weeks after the operation were bad, (hurt every time I swallowed for the first week at least) but don't regret it and would definitely encourage you to get it done. It's worth it.

Picklingaround79 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:11:41

I was so sure two weeks recovery would be too long for me that I told work I'd be back after a week!
It really did take two weeks though I'm afraid... perhaps even 3/4 before I felt 'normal' again as I also picked up an infection.
I was mid thirties when had it done and have only had one bought of tonsillitis/throat infection since then (few years). I used to get it twice a year so well worth it from my perspective. Hope it all goes well for you!

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 14-Jan-17 21:12:56

Yes. Do it. It is life changing. You will not regret it I promise. The recovery is no worse than a bad case of tonsillitis.

SansaClegane Sat 14-Jan-17 21:29:44

Go for it! I've had reoccurring tonsillitis since my teens, finally had the tonsillectomy about 5 years ago in my early thirties. Found it very very painful at first but oh my word, it was so worth it! I even get fewer colds these days, whereas it used to be slight cold -> instant bout of tonsillitis.
Only had 2 DC when I had the OP who were 1 and 3 at the time, DH took a week off work to look after me and them so I could recover properly.

ilovesprouts Sun 15-Jan-17 19:23:53

Had mine out when I was 30 had a infection so had to go back in hospital never again I'd rather give birth ;) .

Getnakedorgohome Sun 15-Jan-17 19:27:09

I had mine out at 21. Stayed in over night and on the way home the next day I ate big mac and fries! I craved salt and had discomfort rather than pain. Taking the medications regularly managed it beautifully. Bit tired for a week or so. Went from having tonsillitis monthly to never having it again. Magic smile

StillMedusa Sun 15-Jan-17 21:56:07

Had mine out at 35 with 4 very young kids. I won't like..the first ten days are hell... BUT it was actually life transforming! I was constantly ill, constantly on antibiotics and afterwards... I don't think I have needed any since and I'm 49 now.
I was mainlining painkillers for the first week then it rapidly improved.

My DD1 had hers out at 22 and same for her... much healthier overall afterwards!

MrTumblesbitch Sun 15-Jan-17 22:02:26

I had mine out when I was 26, it was worth it but God I suffered at the time. My surgery went wrong (there was a 50p sized hole in my throat) which got infected and meant I needed to be readmitted for morphine and Iv antibiotics. I needed a month off work, and was SO weak. That said, I've had no trouble at all since and I still say it was worth it. Take the painkillers religiously though!

Pillowaddict Sun 15-Jan-17 23:10:08

Had mine out the end of last year. The recovery is extremely painful - but if you have good pain relief it's bearable (more bearable than tonsillitis imo as you lack the awful suffocating feeling and whole body pains). It took me around nine days until pain was manageable without morphine or tramadol and I was back at work on day ten. I'd say probably two weeks until pain completely gone. I feel so much better now they're away!!

Piehunter Sun 15-Jan-17 23:22:49

I had mine out after 9 major episodes in a year. Surgeon told me it would be worse than my worst tonsillitis. It wasn't. It wasn't fun but I had soluble co-codamol (max strength) and soluble diclofenac, plus difflam gargle and spray. Better pain relief than you get for tonsillitis plus my throat wasn't so swollen you could hear me wheeze/liquids came back up through my nose like with the tonsillitis. Day 5 or so it hits you all over again as you get nerve pain in your ears as throat starts to heal. Looking at your throat is horrifying and water is like battery acid (hurt more to drink than eat and nearly ended up re-admitted for fluids). You need to eat scratchy foods to help it heal and the scabs come off too, i would use difflam before eating, then i would eat toast/crisps and then have sorbet or an ice lolly after for soothing.

I do still get recurrent throat infections instead of tonsillitis now but nothing compares to breathing through a tiny gap between huge swollen disgusting tonsils, vomiting from swallowing all the crap and living in fear of just how utterly terrible it makes you feel.

It's 2 weeks of minimal contact with germs as your tonsils form part of your immune system and you're prone to infection in that time, and I spent the first week pretty much in bed.

So worth it in my book, just be prepared to treat it like a tonsillitis episode and REST to give yourself the best chance.

Piehunter Sun 15-Jan-17 23:24:02

Oh, iced water drunk through a straw (so it numbed throat as was still cold when it got back there) was the only way I could drink. Top tip.

Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Jan-17 23:10:23

I had mine removed last year aged 34. Best thing I've ever done. It wasn't pleasant and I ended up back in hospital as my pain wasn't managed properly. But it was totally worth it. I have two young children too and I needed help so that I could recover. I'd say you'd need to arrange for people to stay and help you but it'll be worth it. I got lots of support on here in the lead up and through the recovery too.

Soozikinzi Wed 18-Jan-17 23:19:38

Mine were removed at 21 once recovered never regretted xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now