Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

bereavement and depression

(11 Posts)
lonelyandsad Thu 22-Feb-07 15:15:20

could someone please tell me if gp's do quick referrals for people needing bereavement/depression counselling ? how long does it take normally to get to see a therapist through a gp ? i am on benefits and can't afford to go private.

i recently lost my mother and have had depression on and off for a no. of years and now really feel i need to talk to a therapist/counsellor as my problems are long-term and not solved through medication.

many thanks.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 15:16:34

it can depend and some gp practices have their own counselling service that they can refer you to, though I seem to remember the one at my gp's was for a fixed term (6 or 8 weeks). I do hope you get some help with this lonelyandsad

lonelyandsad Thu 22-Feb-07 15:17:27

apologies for creating two threads under two topics - it was to get max. feedback

lonelyandsad Thu 22-Feb-07 15:18:05

thanks bundle. hoping to see new gp for first time about this tomorrow.

castlesintheair Thu 22-Feb-07 15:18:53

You can see a cruse counsellor. They are a charity.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 15:19:15

good luck, this must be a horrid time for you and having something to focus on will help i'm sure, x

lonelyandsad Thu 22-Feb-07 15:19:38

thanks, i have heard of them but thought they charge money

castlesintheair Thu 22-Feb-07 15:22:16

Oh sorry, I thought they were free Can you ask your GP? I was about to train as one but got pg instead. Hope you get some help soon and sorry for your loss.

Wilbur Thu 22-Feb-07 15:24:14

Cruse don't charge, although is you are well off they do ask for a donation of what you think you can afford at the end of your session with them.

I'm so sorry you are feeling so low, it is a terribly sad time for you and I'm sure you are right to seek counselling. If you explain everything to your GP and don't hold anything back, he/she hopefully will refer you quite quickly. I was in a similar situation recently and I went to the GP, he referred me for a proper assessment which took a couple of week to get an appointment and then they sent me quite quickly to a counsellor who had vacancies so the whole process took about 6 weeks. It will vary from area to area, but I hope you don;t have to wait too long. Take care.

lonelyandsad Thu 22-Feb-07 15:30:41

thanks everyone - glad it can be done through gp - will see gp tomorrow

spex68 Fri 31-Mar-17 07:15:28

I need to know if I can receive PIP with Bereavement Depression.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: