Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B12 deficiency and injections

(5 Posts)
Mrspig86 Wed 11-Jan-17 08:26:53

Hello,
After years of feeling progressively more exhausted and having increasing bouts of unexplained pins and needles my new GP surgery ran a series of blood tests. As it turns out, I have been told that at a level of 150 I had a very low level of B12. I was prescribed a course of 5 injections 3 days apart and have had 3 of them already. I don't feel any difference at all yet, and just wondered if any of you have experience of being treated for this deficiency? And if you had the prescribed loading dose of injections, at what point did you feel a noticeable improvement?

LooseAtTheSeams Wed 11-Jan-17 09:02:29

Yes, oddly enough I'm going for a booster injection this morning!
I was diagnosed after becoming severely anaemic (fibroid related) so it was a bit confusing as the symptoms are almost identical. I would say on balance the injections get rid of all the symptoms more or less and you will start to notice your energy levels peak just after you get the injection but it's really temporary. However, a nurse told me that even before the booster your levels will still be high.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop the injections after two years or be on them for life - unfortunately there's a family history of the deficiency!

youcantgoback Wed 11-Jan-17 18:02:59

My level was 300 so I was advised to take supplements rather than injections. I also had unexplained pins and needles. I found that my thyroid was also a problem and until I sorted the thyroid, vit D, folate and ferritin levels, I didn't fully get the improvement from the increase in B12.
If you aren't seeing improvement, it might be worth checking you aren't low in range for other things. I was bottom of range for other things but i needed to take supplements to bring them to half way in range. I only found out when i asked for a print out of my results! I know pernacious anaemia can be a cause of B12 defiency.

Davinaaddict Wed 11-Jan-17 22:41:30

There are a few threads on here already about B12 if you want to do an advanced search smile Lots of experiences and good advice.

Mrspig86 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:19:18

Thank you all for replying. It seems it is actually fairly common so I'm really hoping the injections do the trick once my stores have replenished themselves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now