Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

metronidazole and breastfeeding? (Plus any side effects?!)

(9 Posts)
Nickname1980 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:34:20

I've just been prescribed this for a gum abscess. The dentist was very hesitant as he knows I'm breastfeeding. But I can't take penicillin so it's the only option.

My baby is 10 weeks old. Anyone take it while breastfeeding? Should I pump and dump?

Also- I tend to react really badly to antibiotics confused. If anyone took it, what symptoms did they get? And anything I can do to lessen them?

I've been given 200mg to take 3x a day for 3 days.

To be honest, I'd like to avoid taking antibiotics at all. But I don't think this abscess will just go away on its own!

LavenderRains Wed 11-Jan-17 05:09:20

Hi I sympathise With you. Tooth abscess is the worst thing!
I had metronidazole for the same thing and I can honestly say it was awful. It made me feel sick and turned my urine black! The Dr said it was like domestosconfused I didn't finish the course.
I don't know about breastfeeding I'm afraid. I would ask a pharmacist.
It may not affect you in the same way but that's my experience. I hope you feel better soon flowers

Nickname1980 Wed 11-Jan-17 07:01:11

lavender - eek that sounds awful! Did the abscess still go even though you didn't finish the course? (I'm guessing it did!)

I so want to avoid taking! But also scared of letting an infection roam around my body!

LavenderRains Wed 11-Jan-17 07:32:12

A GP gave me the metronidazole as I couldn't get to the dentist and was in agony. My dentist said he wouldn't have given me that and gave me penicillin. The abscess didn't go until I had the tooth removed. TMI but the dentist actually pushed all the pus out after extracting the tooth. The relief was amazing tho!!
Are you in pain?

Wetcappuccino Wed 11-Jan-17 07:38:07

Check with the Breastfeeding Network. You can go to their website and email them - a doctor with experience and knowledge of medications while breastfeeding will respond to you. Often doctors generally will err on the side of caution and advise you to pump and dump or stop bf, which is not necessary as such a small amount (or none at all) gets to the milk. I was prescribed medication while by and the Breastfeeding Network were invaluable.

Nickname1980 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:41:20

lavender - it's not agony, but painful - like a gum burn, if you know what I mean? The dentist's drained it once and given me a root canal. A different dentist recommended I has it extracted. Now I'm wondering if I should have!

wetcappucino - good idea about the breastfeeding network! I didn't think of that!

MaryManchego Wed 11-Jan-17 09:45:31

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/antibiotics-oct-14.pdf

Here you go, Breastfeeding Network factsheet for antibiotics.

I felt pretty horrible when I had to take it, definitely not my favourite. It's really good for dental infections though.

Nickname1980 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:54:36

marymanchego - that fact sheet is great, thank you!

Ugh I'm dreading taking them. But I should just get it over and done with!

digerd Wed 11-Jan-17 19:53:40

I felt sea-sick for 10 days and lost half a stone when I was only 8 stone- so ended up 7.5 stone. I was holding my stomach to try to stop it churning and it helped somewhat.

SIL had V&D but didn't lose any weight .
Not everyone has these side effects and you may be fine.
I am older and rather delicate and grumpy so have refused to ever take them again no matter what.
A chemist told me to take ABs with lots of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now