Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Genital ulcer

(15 Posts)
Embarrassedoverhere Tue 10-Jan-17 17:21:47

I am in a great deal of pain down there. It started 4 days ago. I got DH to have a look and he took a photo. There are two ulcers on my labia minora.

I am certain DH has not cheated (and neither have I) but Dr Google suggests it is herpes. We have been together for 4 years and neither of us has a coloured sexual past.

I have suffered with mouth ulcers and currently have a few. I do frequently get lumps on my labia as well as on my chest, shoulders, legs and bum. They are large and red but never come to a head but some have left a purple scar.

Last year I developed an ulcer in my eye.

Dr Google also suggested to me that it could be Behcets....?

I have had norovirus the last two days. I am going to try and summon the energy to visit the GP tomorrow.

Any wise words?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 10-Jan-17 19:27:13

There's quite a lot of threads on MN about Bartholins cysts. Maybe that could be your issue?

Good luck at GP!

redannie118 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:31:24

I had these a few years ago after a nasty bout of flu. Hurt like all actual Hell sad was not herpes just a run down viral thing, but please please get them checked our by GP x

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 10-Jan-17 19:31:58

I think you should definitely see your GP, not just about the genital ulcer but about your general susceptibility to ulcers and lumps on your body. Maybe you are reacting to something?

doreme Tue 10-Jan-17 19:35:44

It sounds like Bechets! It's really rare, I have it, but fortunately quite mild. I get genital ulcers if I'm run down (or pregnant!). The eye ulcer is another symptom. See your GP, tell them about the ulcers and the eye problem and get a referall to a rheumatology consultant (it's an auto immune disease), and you should be seen by an opthalmologist. The GP may be able to prescribe something for the gentital ulcers - a steroid cream will work. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Embarrassedoverhere Tue 10-Jan-17 19:37:46

Thanks everyone.

It might be worth mentioning I am hypothyroid. Had a shower tonight and cried so much, I had to stop and run a bath. I'm having to splash it as I can't wash myself without intense pain sad

BobbyNoggle Tue 10-Jan-17 23:46:56

I think you should go to the GP too ; pemphigus is another autoimmune condition that causes painful recurrent blisters on the skin & mucous membranes-mouth/eyes/genital.
Hope you feel better soon, bad enough having norovirus without the other issues😟

MollyHuaCha Tue 10-Jan-17 23:56:44

It could be any of a number of auto-immune conditions. Are you feeling a little run down? Do see yr doctor.

Embarrassedoverhere Wed 11-Jan-17 19:24:58

Been to the doctors. I have had blood tests to look for auto immune diseases plus a swab for herpes. I'm terrified that it could be herpes. I've cried a lot today sad

Ibloodyhatethomasthetankengine Wed 11-Jan-17 19:50:32

If it's herpes, it's nothing to be upset or to worry about. Pretty much everyone carries the herpes virus. Most people just get their sores (if they are symptomatic, and actually very few people are!) on their lip, but some, get it 'down there'.

If it is herpes, as this is your first outbreak, it may well be your only ever one (if HSV1 strain). If it's the HSV2 strain, it may come back at some point, but either way, this will by far and away be your worst ever one.

If it is herpes get a prescription for Aciclovir tablets and just keep them in the medicine cabinet in case you ever need them (which honestly is not likely).

Finally, if it is herpes, the emotional/psychological pain is far worse at this point than the reality of having it. It is, honestly, nothing to worry about. Its no different to having a cold sore. You might just have it in a different place.

Big hugs xx

Ibloodyhatethomasthetankengine Wed 11-Jan-17 19:53:28

Also, if it is herpes, it is zero reflection on either cheating or a coloured sexual past. It could be very easily passed on by asympotamic oral sex (e.g if your partner has ever had a cold sore in his lip, he can shed the virus orally at any time) or simply genital to genital shedding, as most people are herpetic genitally anyway, but very few ever show symptoms. It means nothing. Try not to worry xxx

MollyHuaCha Wed 11-Jan-17 20:53:08

My money is on the auto-immune conditions. Pls don't cry. flowers

Embarrassedoverhere Wed 11-Jan-17 21:27:51

Thank you for your kindness, it has helped flowers

I think it's the shock of it all more than anything. And of course, the psychological effect.

I have to wait two weeks for the swab but blood tests are back by Friday. Now it is just a waiting game. The doctor gave me anti-vitals to take and I have started them.

Thank you once again,

embarrassedoverhere Tue 31-Jan-17 18:27:10

It's been two weeks since I posted. The herpes test was negative and the ulcer healed with 7 days. Massive relief to get a negative result.

But, this morning I woke up to a new ulcer. Obviously, I will go back to the GP. But, I am worrying about what it could be.

MollyHuaCha Tue 31-Jan-17 20:04:14

No herpes = great news
I still think you prob have an auto- immune condition. Hope ulcer is not too painful. Take care and I hope you feel a lot better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now