Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ADs and painkillers together, need some advice please.

(5 Posts)
saltire Thu 22-Feb-07 13:04:42

I take 10mg of Amitryptiline which is an anti depressant, for pain, not depression. I take it every night. I also have two different lots of pain killers. Co-Codamol 8/500mg for during the day and Co-Codamol 30/500mg for night time. I only take them when i get pain flare up. The flare ups can last a day, a week or even a month. I take the milder ones for during the day bacuse i childmind. The stronger ones i take at night because they make me very drowsy. However I am getting a bit worried. For the past 10 days I have had to take the painkillers at night, then on monday the pain went, so stopped taking them. However, I haven't slept properly since. I am not getting off to sleep for ages - last night it was 3am. On Tuesday night i was awake till gone midnight, but was wide awake at 5am. I noticed the same thing happened a few weeks ago when i stopped the painkillers after a few days of pain
I am worried that my body is getting reliant on the painkillers during the periods that i need to take them, which as i said above, can be weeks at a time.
Is it worth going to the docs to see about getting different painkillers? Does anyone know if the painkillers can be addictive?

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 13:05:38

some codeine based ones can be.....i would speak to your Doc about this ASAP if you are concerned....

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 13:06:04

IIRC you can build up a tolerance to them, and need to take more and larger doses to get the same effect

saltire Thu 22-Feb-07 13:14:45

Would i build up a tolerance to them if i was only taking them for certain periods of time? For example, i might not get another flare up for weeks, so they would have got out of my system wouldn't they?
I don't know what other kinds of pain killers are available

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 13:57:45

i am not entirely sure .so either call your pharmacist or your gp to discuss !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now