Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have MUMPS!

(8 Posts)
sunnyjim Thu 22-Feb-07 12:46:51

dear god I feel awful, thought i had a bad throat or had strained my neck but it was getting worse and then I had an awful night last ngiht - only about 3 hrs sleep. High temp and aches.

My neck is really swollen but no sign of any infection (and I get throat infectiosn frequently so knew what to look for)
went to the GP and he said its mumps (too old for MMR and didn't get it as a kid)

Is there any risk to DS (22 months has had MMR). I mean apart from having a mom who can hardly move at the moment (thank go today is a nursery day)

mateychops Thu 22-Feb-07 12:52:16

My doc said I had mumps earlier this week, but I had it when I was a little girl so didn't think it was the right diagnosis. Still not feeling brill, but definately getting better. I think with mumps you are out of the game for a while. If your kids have had the MMR, should be ok.

belgo Thu 22-Feb-07 12:54:18

My dh was diagnosed with mumps last month - he also had it as a child - but apparently if you have it one side as a child you can get it on the other side a second time? Is this right?

Hope you're better soon sunnyjim!

corblimeymadam Thu 22-Feb-07 13:04:28

Message withdrawn

suedonim Thu 22-Feb-07 13:55:49

Dh had mumps when he was 36. He was not amused and felt really ill.

belgo Thu 22-Feb-07 14:32:07

A few people made comments that it was lucky that my dh caught the mumps after we've had children - (in very severe cases it can cause infertility), but I was actually really worried as I am desperate for a third child.

sunnyjim Fri 23-Feb-07 20:32:21

Well to top it all off - I was suppoused ot be goign away this weekend for a girly pampering day. Obviusoly I'm too ill and possibly infectous so can't go.

Rang the pampering people and then emailed the hotel to cancel. Just got an email response saying that because its less than 3 days notice they are charging me the full amount (I emailed on thursday for a saturday night booking). Thats £125 down the drain. Its pissing me off because I know (as I studies law) that there is no legal abckign for this, the have a policy but that isn't a legal contract and in fact they are charging me for services I won't receive and which I havn't rendered ineffective for anyone else.

littlelapin Fri 23-Feb-07 20:36:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now