Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I hate Warfarin!

(6 Posts)
Onehellofaride Mon 09-Jan-17 23:42:18

Just want to rant really. Been on warfarin for nearly 4 years and my INR goes up and down. It stabilised for a year but has gone off again now so I'm supplementing with heparin injections despite taking a huge dose of warfarin daily.

I self test however today for some reason I cannot get the blood onto the test strip properly. I've given up after 4 fingers and I'll try again tomorrow. I have plasters on all my fingers on my right hand and I've just done my injection. Gone to bed feeling like a human pin cushion angry

Mysillydog Tue 10-Jan-17 08:00:09

I find that soaking my hands in really warm water, quick dry and then do the finger stick helps. Also if you milk your finger it helps too - similar movement to expressing milk. Cold hands are the worst thing.

How much are you on? I used to be on 10mg but now its dropped to 8mg, which is a more normal dose I think.

Mysillydog Tue 10-Jan-17 08:01:14

The water should be hot enough to make your hands pink/red but obviously not scald them.

Onehellofaride Tue 10-Jan-17 09:07:12

The blood flow is high it just wouldn't register properly blush

My current dose is 26mg!

Mysillydog Tue 10-Jan-17 09:19:16

Wow that is quite a dose! I hope it registers today so you don't need a venous check.

Onehellofaride Tue 10-Jan-17 09:31:04

Me too. I started self testing because I can't get out of work to get it tested. Before I bought the machine I was paying someone privately to take blood at 6.30 am! It's been such a hassle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now