Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What does Shingles look like?

(14 Posts)
NbgsYellowFeathers Thu 22-Feb-07 11:53:28

DD and ds have had Chicken pox and the last couple of days my left foot has been really itchy.
Anyway this morning I have 3 biggish round spots. About the size of a 2 pence piece. They're red atm with a slight yellowy tinge to them

Dh said it could be shingles.
Has anyone had it so they can give me a good answer!

bigwuss Thu 22-Feb-07 11:57:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ledodgyDave Thu 22-Feb-07 11:59:16

I doubt it will be shingles as you can't catch shingles. You can only get shingles when you've had chicken pox and the virus is in your system. It normally will come out (as does a cold sore) when you are very run down or your immune system is comprimised. You can catch chicken pox from a shingles blister if you are not immune but not the other way round.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 12:02:31

i had one shingle, on my ribs, it was just an itchy red spot (only realised afterwards what it had been as I then gave dd1 chickenpox ).

it's very rare to get it on your foot from what i remember...

NbgsYellowFeathers Thu 22-Feb-07 12:03:09

Hmmmm, wonder what it is then.
Its really itchy and they're all on one foot.

Wonder if its just a bite then

ledodgyDave Thu 22-Feb-07 12:14:33

Perhaps your getting chicken pox again?

NbgsYellowFeathers Thu 22-Feb-07 12:27:54

What with spots that size!
I hope not

My other foot has started to itch now.
Bum.

Bugsy2 Thu 22-Feb-07 12:44:07

I've had shingles and it follows a nerve path. Basically it is the chicken pox virus that has remained in your body & something will trigger an attack (stress, being run down etc). It would be unusual to get them on your foot as they tend to normally appear on the trunk of your body & quite often on the face.
Whatever those spots on your feet are, they don't sound great. Have you put anything on them at all?

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 12:48:38

They are little tiny dots that from a circle and are often in a line, they follow the nervous system. They feel like you have something sharp rubbing against your skin where they are. You will get weird random shooting pains through your nervous system in the location of the blistery spots.

I had them twice, same place on the top of my right leg, about half way up my leg.

My dad got them from his chest round his back (more common location I believe).

HandbagAddiction Thu 22-Feb-07 12:52:47

I had shinlges this summer only 2 weeks after having dd2. I had it in one patch on my back spreading outwards from my spine and only on one side. It did look like insect bites initially and believe it or not, I went to doctors to see if they were infected as the pain was unbelieveable - a real searing nerve pain and incredibly sensitive to touch. It was the doctor who told me that I had shingles.

Agree with what everyone else has said - you can't 'catch' shingles so to speak.

NbgsYellowFeathers Thu 22-Feb-07 16:08:10

Ahh well I dont think it is Shingles then.
There by no means painful just really itchy.

I remember getting a bite on my knee a couple of months ago and it looked the same as these on my foot.
I was just a bit wary with me having 3 of them.
I'm not a huge fan of the dr's so I'll slap some Savlon on tonight and see what happens!

Thanks.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 16:27:49

If they get sore and painful buy that stuff you use for coldsores, Zvirax (sp??????) and that's what they gave me to treatthe shingles blisters anyway.

If it is shingles though you will still need to see a GP though.

I think mine may have started off as itchy the 2nd time I got them, trying to remember. I was pregnant with DD if I recall.

1st time I was in my early 20's but I do re,eber the painful stinging needle in my skin like pain. like a wasp sting being scraped across my leg.

jalopy Thu 22-Feb-07 17:52:05

May be it's a fungal infection.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 17:53:57

zovirax contains the antiviral, acyclovir.

if you do get shingles it is important to see a doctor as the antiviral treatment as it greatly reduces your risk of post-herpetic pain (a chronic, debilitating pain which a % of shingles patients are left with)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now