Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chiro Osteo or massage therapist?

(4 Posts)
flibflob Mon 09-Jan-17 18:02:25

I have two large muscle knots at the base of my neck on either side. They don't prohibit movement but are constantly very stiff and painful most evenings (I am on my feet a lot at work). I've had them for years but not had the time/money to get it sorted until now.

I've found chiropractors, osteopaths and massage therapists in my area - I'm leaning towards osteopathy but wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of treatment? TIA.

PoptartPoptart Mon 09-Jan-17 19:15:21

I see a chiropractor for my back when I slip my disc or similar. I swear by him. However, for your problem maybe an osteopath would be better. Hope you get it sorted

MollyHuaCha Mon 09-Jan-17 21:15:51

I've had a neck problem (stiffness, pain, reduced turning ability) on and off for 3 yrs. I originally had about 15 sessions with a physiotherapist. My problem was helped through sudden (and somewhat frightening) osteopathic manipulation where I felt my neck bones were actually being broken (they weren't!), but never really resolved.
I'm currently seeing a chiropractor weekly and I feel it's really working. My chiropractic treatment began with a free 15 min consultation and then an X-ray diagnosis - the osteo/physio did not offer either of these. I walk in to the chiro clinic with a painful neck I can only turn so far, and half an hour later I dance out with the ability to painlessly look behind. The treatment is more gentle than the osteopathy and involves a lot of massage as well pulls and stretches and I have exercises to do at home in between. The effect wears off to some extent, but generally each session leaves me slightly better between appointments than the session before. I've had 7 sessions to date and expect to have between 5 and 10 more. Whichever you choose, I would meet the prison first to see if you like them and then check for qualifications and preferably recommendations. Good luck!

MollyHuaCha Mon 09-Jan-17 21:17:32

Er, not prison... person! But you knew that, right? wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: