Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painkillers on an empty stomach

(4 Posts)
FritzyMousey Sun 08-Jan-17 10:01:00

I have really bad toothache at the moment (had root canal done) I'm having to take pain killers every 4 hours, during the night the pain wakes me up. I had been taking co-codamol because that's the only thing that was working but I took it at night on an empty stomach without thinking and that made me feel really dizzy and sick. Been trying to stick to paracetamol at night but last night I tried aspirin as the earlier paracetamol hadn't touched it...I read the leaflet at 4 this morning it said nothing about not taking on an empty stomach but it did make me feel sick and on googling once I got up found you're not meant to take that on an empty stomach either! Is only paracetamol safe on an empty stomach? What do other people do if you wake up in pain?

VintagePerfumista Sun 08-Jan-17 10:08:16

I have a monster sinusitis head this morning and have managed to get a piece of toast down to take some nurofen.

Aspirin I think is not good on empty stomachs because it's so harsh- some people, like my Mum can't take aspirin or ibuprofen at all because it affects their stomach so much.

I have had a few bad reactions to codeine when taken without eating first. As you said, spinning head and what feels like really low blood sugar, shakes, trembling limbs etc.

You could have a biscuit or something? My sympathies, I had root canal a few years back and it does hurt more after than during! flowers

lljkk Sun 08-Jan-17 10:13:32

aspirin can cause bleeding of the stomach lining. This is usually only an issue if you take it chronically, like daily for years.

Drink of cow or soy milk with the aspirin would be enough to reduce the bleeding risk.

codeine also makes me sick so sympathies there!

FritzyMousey Sun 08-Jan-17 10:13:35

Thank you for the flowers, hope your headache goes soon! I'm slightly annoyed with myself for not eating something with it but at 4 in the morning in such pain even reading the leaflet was a lot to ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now