Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Palpitations after eating certain things

(15 Posts)
helpimitchy Sat 07-Jan-17 20:46:25

Does anybody else have this or know what causes it?

MSG and glucose syrup seems to be causing me to have them. I've long avoided the MSG, but so much stuff has glucose syrup in. I don't get it with fruit sugars, ordinary sugar or after eating carbs.

I don't have any issues with my blood sugar levels, diabetes etc.

doggle Sat 07-Jan-17 20:50:37

I get the same thing if I take meds (eg cold or flu type) with added caffeine. Make me feel really ill palpitations, I literally have to lie down as I think I am going to die. I can drink coke, coffee, tea, no side effects at all.
I just know I can't deal with whatever sort of fake caffeine they add to these things, so avoid.
It should be reasonably easy to avoid glucose syrup? What is it in? I can't think of anything essential?

helpimitchy Sat 07-Jan-17 20:54:39

It tends to be in biscuits, cakes, puddings and drinks. I've made homemade things at home with ordinary sugar and don't get the same problem.

Decongestants have the same effect as well.

Gatekeeper Sat 07-Jan-17 20:59:53

I have this as well after eating anything with glucose /fructose syrup and also anything with decongestant in it. Heart start beating like the clappers and goes crackers with cold remedies

ChipInTheSugar Sat 07-Jan-17 21:03:26

Chocolate has started doing this to me :/

helpimitchy Sat 07-Jan-17 21:05:27

confused

I wonder what it is.

Iris65 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:11:24

It might be worth getting a 24 or 48 hour halter monitor done by cardiology. I have a very rare (1/10000) heart condition which means that I get weird palpitations when I am stressed, exercise strenuously, am tired, ill or if I eat/drink anything with caffeine, chocolate, alcohol and/or other stimulants. It's called CPVT and I have a defibrillator implanted because of it. The usual symptoms are fainting during stress or exercise but I was diagnosed because I was having thousands of palpitations everyday.
As I said it is very, very rare but even if you don't have the condition it may just be that your heart is 'irritable' and you need to avoid those foodstuffs.

Iris65 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:12:43

Cold remedies usually have a stimulant in (variations on epinephrine) which effects the Herat in some people.

Iris65 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:13:12

Herat should be heart!

JudithTaverner Sat 07-Jan-17 21:15:16

I get this. I get it after sugar and white carbs like white rice and bread. And after some wine.

I did go to the doctors about it - he wasn't concerned and said just to avoid eating that stuff.

Academicshmacerdemic Sat 07-Jan-17 21:19:52

Me too!
I'm shit at caffeine
I have to avoid it completely

helpimitchy Sat 07-Jan-17 21:31:35

It seems it's not uncommon then.

Iris65 sorry to hear you have that, it sounds scary, but glad you have the internal defib.

LtGreggs Sat 07-Jan-17 21:37:21

I get similar from decongestants (the stuff that's in sudofed).

Also get very light-headed if I've not eaten for a while and then either eat something really sugary (chocolate on an empty stomach) or have something stressful happen (stressy work phonecall). I've put it down to over-sensitivity and am slightly embarrassed by it!

NanTheWiser Sun 08-Jan-17 10:43:42

I get it from most forms of sugar/carbs, have been eating LCHF for about 7 months and if I eat anything sugary/carby it really makes me feel bad. I think I have IGT - impaired glucose intolerance, although am not diabetic (was tested last May), maybe an age thing as I'm almost 70. LCHF is the way to go if you can do it (bonus of weight loss as well!)

Academicshmacerdemic Sun 08-Jan-17 10:54:10

I went on the 5:2 diet and got dreadful palpitations
I tried twice just to be sure as it was a fab way to lose weight for me

Doctors weren't interested and said it's likely a coincidence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now