Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Decongestant and Breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
LaundryQueenHatesIroning Sat 07-Jan-17 13:20:58

Now sadly I know from experience that the ones you take in tablet form are a no no when Breastfeeding as they damage milk supply, but I have an awful cold and literally can get no air through my nose! I can't even eat and breathe at the same time sad

Does anyone know which ingredient is the one that is bad and can I still you a nasal decongestant?

I would ask in the pharmacy but last time they literally had no idea (along with a Dr I asked on a separate occasion) and their default is always 'don't take it if you are bf' which is not helpful!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 07-Jan-17 13:22:06

You could call the Drugs In Breastmilk Helpline 0844 412 4665

The Drugs in Breastmilk Helpline was set up by BfN in response to the number of calls received concerning medication. The drugline is run on a voluntary basis by a pharmacist who is also a BfN Registered Breastfeeding Supporter

ElspethFlashman Sat 07-Jan-17 13:22:39

I think it's pseudoephedrine?

Not 100% though. I know Sudafed dries up breast milk - though v v slowly so it's not like 2 tablets and your boobs shrivel up or anything.

MaryManchego Sat 07-Jan-17 13:23:15

breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/cough%20and%20cold%202016.pdf

This is the factsheet from the Drugs in Breastmilk helpline, some topical remedies are fine. Hope you are feeling better soon

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Sat 07-Jan-17 13:51:08

Thank you all very much. Elspeth, I only took two last time and it had a noticeable affect, although he is 13months and a good eater and drinker so it wouldn't affect his health or anything, just don't want him to give up feeding if my supply dips a bit! Thank you all again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now