Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone fancy a game of 'name that rash'

(19 Posts)
FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 12:33:16

Dd (5) has had this rash on her cheek for a few days. It is spreading but not very rapidly. No rashes anywhere else and not unwell in herself.

We've tried Oilatum moisturiser and a little hydrocortisone to no obvious effect.

Anyone seen a rash like this?

Aquamarine70 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:38:24

Maybe go & see a pharmacist tgey are usually quite good with rashes. I waa thinking maybe ringworm.

FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 12:38:31

I should say I have heard of 'slapped cheek' disease, but from what I've read/seen it looks like that is bigger patches and on both cheeks, this is only on one

cathyandclare Sat 07-Jan-17 12:39:57

It looks like impetigo to me, is there a yellow/crusty bit?

BringItOn2017 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:40:08

It does look like the start of slapped cheek although when my son got it the rash spread everywhere in the end!!

FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 12:45:16

Thanks all,

Could be ringworm, although she's had that before and the 'ring' was far more obvious.

No crusty bit.

It started about 3/4 days ago, and has probably doubled in size over those days.

Possibly a better picture:

Aftertheraincomesthesun Sat 07-Jan-17 12:49:54


FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 13:14:46

Shouldn't impetigo have gone crusty by now?

Roomba Sat 07-Jan-17 13:37:53

Not necessarily. DS1 had impetigo and it looked exactly like this.

Aftertheraincomesthesun Sat 07-Jan-17 14:33:41

A pharmacist should point you in the right direction

FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 16:45:25

Thanks for the suggestions all, you're right perhaps a pharmacist tomorrow would be a good call.

AnneOfCleavage Sat 07-Jan-17 16:52:50

Really looks like impetigo! If you can get to a pharmacist now then do (not sure where in the world you are) as it's very contagious so will spread. Pharmacist may suggest OOHs Dr as a cream like Fucidin is best started sooner rather than later to nip in the bud & a pharmacist may not be able to prescribe.

hairymuffet Sat 07-Jan-17 18:57:37


Ibloodyhatethomasthetankengine Sat 07-Jan-17 19:46:06

Impetigo I would say x

FemaleDilbert Sat 07-Jan-17 20:06:22

Will report back smile

FemaleDilbert Sun 08-Jan-17 19:06:24

Pharmacist today didn't know, thought possibly impetigo but wasn't sure. Off to the docs tomorrow.

AnneOfCleavage Tue 10-Jan-17 16:23:43

Did you get to see the Dr? If so what did they say it was?

FemaleDilbert Wed 11-Jan-17 10:16:42

it was impetigo! Full points to the posters who suggested that.

Aftertheraincomesthesun Wed 11-Jan-17 19:03:24

Winner winner!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: