Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy periods

(15 Posts)
WelshMoth Fri 06-Jan-17 23:05:18

GP prescribed me Mefenamic acid and Tranexamic Acid after I went to them following unbearable heavy periods.

This is my first 'try' at taking them. Whilst they have most definitely reduced the 'flooding' and the length of the period, they've also made me
Nauseous, given me diorrhea and left my abdomen feeling odd and vulnerable (IYKWIM).

Has anyone else had experience of this?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 07-Jan-17 12:19:27

Such side effects can be seen with these medications and I would return to the GP to report this.

The proper cause of the heaviness of bleeding needs to be determined. Its not just about treating the current symptoms.

I was wondering if you have been referred to a gynaecologist for further evaluation and if not why that is. Conditions like fibroids for instance can cause heavy bleeding to arise and its not something that any woman should have to put up with.

WelshMoth Sat 07-Jan-17 17:57:13

Thank you Attila. I was meant to have an exploratory with this GP on the 28th but the receptionist had to call me to cancel. Between returning to work and starting my period for this cycle, I've still yet to bag an appointment. She mentioned needing to rule out fibroids.

The negatives of taking these pills out weight the positives so I will definitely report these symptoms on and NOT take them next cycle (that said, other MN'ers said after having SE's with these two, they just took the Mefenamic acid). My period has ceased today and I'm still feeling pangs of nausea, bloating and abdominal tenderness. She mentioned the mirena coil but I have mixed feelings after reading the feedback about it online.

Either way, I cannot go on like this.

lborgia Sat 07-Jan-17 20:12:27

Tranexamic acid did make me feel similar but much less, so for me out was still worth taking. I've been told not to take them now I'm older, because of increased clotting potential.

How old are you?

WelshMoth Sat 07-Jan-17 20:43:59

I'm 44.
feel like 84 lately

lborgia Sat 07-Jan-17 20:56:59

Ah, v close to me. Weirdly, although it's been out down to being peri menopausal, my extremely low ferritin level was finally taken seriously after 5 years, and I've had an iron infusion.

I didn't know that being iron deficient made your periods worse. The irony! Hasn't changed timing or number of days but def reduced volume.

I had a terrible time with the Mirena,but friends rave about it.

I have just bought a moon cup, so hoping that will help from a practical view.

BoffinMum Sat 07-Jan-17 21:00:24

I would get a gynaecology appointment. Like they say, you need an ultrasound scan to see if there is a fibroid (which is the most likely thing, I imagine) and possibly an MRI scan. A Mirena coil is the first line of treatment and pretty amazing if it works, then if you have a fibroid, at 44 they will probably offer you a drug called Esmya which can shrink it and help the bleeding to get under control. This is all beyond GP territory, realistically.

BoffinMum Sat 07-Jan-17 21:01:22

Sorry, I was wrong, Esmya is given to be close to the menopause or to shrink fibroids before surgery, so not an automatic option in your case.

WelshMoth Sat 07-Jan-17 23:22:29

Thank you, all of you. All this information is helpful. My period has now finished but my abdominal pain is increasing, as is my worsening mood swings (which I usually get at the start, not at the end!). I feel grotty and I'm constantly checking for 'flooding' because it feels like I'm at risk of that. Bizarre sad

BoffinMum Sun 08-Jan-17 08:29:00

I think if you get some Tena pants that might help confidence.

WelshMoth Sun 08-Jan-17 10:50:40

Boffin, that's a great idea. Putting it on my shopping list now for later. Thank you.

LunaLoveg00d Sun 08-Jan-17 10:51:49

Totally agree with Boffin on this one - treating the symptoms is all very well but you need to find out what is causing this. Back to the GP and ask for a referral to a gynaecologist.

Fibroids are really, really common and a lot of what you're saying (bloating, pain, flooding, your age) is ringing massive bells with me. I'm the same age as you and was diagnosed with fibroids about 4 years ago. I had a Mirena fitted and it worked very well for me for about 2 years. It stopped the bleeding almost completely and made me feel like myself again. Problem was that over this time period the fibroid was still growing and eventually pushed the Mirena out of my cervix, so I was back to the bleeding again.

If it is fibroids, then there are lots of treatment options. Drug treatment works really well for some people, depending on how the fibroids are situated in the uterus you may be able to have them removed, or embolised which cuts off their blood supply. If like me you're sure you've finished your family and some options are ruled out by the doctors, then hysterectomy is always on the table.

I had my hysterectomy in November and it's not been a walk in the park but I'm feeling SO much better already. The fibroid which was removed was an oval 9cm by 6cm and my uterus was the same size as a 4 month pregnancy.

Get to the GP!!

WelshMoth Sun 08-Jan-17 12:32:47

Luna that's quite an experience!
Despite weight increase, the bloating in my stomach is obviously 'more'. GP tomorrow, most definitely.

I'm very grateful to all on this thread. flowers

lborgia Sun 08-Jan-17 13:06:36

The other thing I would say is make sure you get some bloods done. . I'm sure it's nothing more sinister but they need to rule out a couple of things.

Glad you're feeling a bit better and yy to tena - actually great for major bleeding.

LunaLoveg00d Sun 08-Jan-17 17:50:19

Ask to be referred for an exploratory ultrasound. Also yes to bloods, things like underactive thyroid can cause heavy periods too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now