Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Headlice help,never done this before !!

(8 Posts)
Loobie Wed 21-Feb-07 19:02:17

I have 2 ds's and a dd who is 4.Two weeks ago i found a headlice on her forehead!! when i searched her hair with conditioner and comb found another beastie and about a dozen nits. Done it all again a couple of days and found 2 more beasties and about 4 eggs,then since then done her hair every 2 days and found nothign else.Done on friday morning and then sunday night and both times nothing,have just done her hair again tonight and have found no less than 10 beasties in her hair but no eggs at all.
I have my suspicions of where she is getting them as each time she is with a particular child i find something in her hair! This is the first time i have come across headlice so am a bit of a novice on them though do know the comb and conditioner treatment works best and it takes me 40 mins to do thius so i think im doing it properly.
My question i suppose im asking is that i only ever find the beasts on the top of head,never anywhere elsein the body of her hair if that makes sense.She was with the particular child today all day and in very close contact !! and lo and behold she has a head full,again all only on the top.Could this be coming from the child i think ?? And what more can i do about it all?

spudmasher Wed 21-Feb-07 19:05:29

How big were the new beasties?

Sobernow Wed 21-Feb-07 19:30:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foxinsocks Wed 21-Feb-07 19:32:41

Hedrin

Only thing that has sorted our outbreak and we were RIDDLED with the little bastards

I tried all the other stuff first (plain conditioner, tea tree etc. etc.) but really, dd has such thick hair that she needed something stronger to get the blighters

also, if you have a dd with long hair, you must tie it up (like in a French plait) for school

grouchyoscar Wed 21-Feb-07 19:39:09

Loobie...Big hug, it's awful, it really is.

Basically there is very little you can do about your suspicions. I would suggest you speak to the class teacher/child's key worker and tell them that your lo keeps coming home with headlice. That will make them aware of the situation and leave it in theor hands how they choose to (or not to) deal with it.

You do need to keep checking your lo's hair everyday with a comb. I know it's galling as you think 'why isn't everyone else doing it too?' Ds went back to school nursery after xmas. I checked him the Sunday bathtime and he was clear, Tuesday lunch he was crawling with them {vomit emoticon}

I also spritz DS's hair with a blend of tea tree and witch hazel which (touch wood) has kept the little critters at bay. There are also 'head lice preventatives' available from the supermarket/drug store

Sadly getting 'Hair pets' is an occupational hazard of los. Oh and if you find one on your lo, check your own hair too as the little bug gers don't care who's scalp they're living on.

I sing 'we're going on a bug hunt, we're going to find a big one' etc etc while combing DS's hair. It stops the protests.

All the best with it

kiminutter Wed 21-Feb-07 19:47:33

We have a nitty gritty comb which is marvellous! I agree with foxinsocks too, Hedrin is great on thicker hair.

Loobie Wed 21-Feb-07 19:50:39

The new beasties were all monsters!!!! As were all the others i have found.Thats the comb ive been using just now anyway!!

spudmasher Wed 21-Feb-07 19:52:31

I would guess they are definately coming from the child, not hatchlings! Are you brave enough to speak to the mum about it? You can't go on. You must be exhausted and your lo must be fed up too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: