Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

CRP Reading ( C Reactive Protein)

(18 Posts)
VLCos Fri 06-Jan-17 18:16:55

Hello !
Does anyone have any experience with CRP readings. I have had a pain in the ribs/ underarm for 7 weeks. During this time I have had several scans and tests . All come back fine apart from a CRP reading of 12.
GP says 10 is normal and 20 is when they get concerned. So could be anything like an infection somewhere . Pain not shifting . He insists it's a 'strain'.
The only thing I have changed is I have been following a low carb, low calorie diet since Oct. Was wondering if that would effect CRP . Any input would be welcome xx

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:44:48

Have they checked for gallstones?

VLCos Fri 06-Jan-17 19:53:01

Hello ! Would that show on a blood test or Chest X-ray ? They came back clear. I didn't wonder about that but my symptoms don't match up x

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:56:58

Rib pain is classic gallstones
Right side?
Need an ultrasound to diagnose
It could mean raised crp in bloods though

Friendinneed2016 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:57:47

Raised CRP basically means there's an infection somewhere in your body. Were you unwell at the time? A virus can raise CRP to that level quite easily.

VLCos Fri 06-Jan-17 20:18:24

Right side yes. I've not been unwell but since November I've had this pain in underarm , shoulder blade, across chest . I so far I have had a mammogram and ultrasound of breast, a chest x-ray and full bloods , D dimer, liver function and CRP . The only thing they have found is the CRP slightly raised. Because it's not concerning them they are putting it down to a strain. Which is OK but I am still a little concerned x

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:14

I'd request an ultrasound

Largemelons Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:55

I work in biochemistry. CRP just means you have some inflammation somewhere in your body. A level of 12 isn't especially concerning, can just be a minor infection somewhere, lots of people will have that without even realising.

VLCos Fri 06-Jan-17 20:23:53

Thank you my doctor seemed to think that to. I'll give it a week or so if still in pain . I'll go back and ask for an ultrasound x

Wolpertinger Fri 06-Jan-17 20:43:53

CRP just means 'something's going on somewhere'. A level of 12 would usually be ignored as being so near normal to be meaningless.

VLCos Fri 06-Jan-17 20:53:05

Thank you !

IamNotDarling Fri 06-Jan-17 20:56:25

Largemelons what's the highest CRP reading you've come across?

2old2beamum Fri 06-Jan-17 21:04:58

My ds CRP was over 500, however he was very poorly with septicaemia but he did survive but there was a degree of panic to pu it mildly.

aaahhhBump Fri 06-Jan-17 21:08:04

CRP measures inflation but doesn't tell you where it is.

fireandicecubes Fri 06-Jan-17 21:11:33

Mine was nearly 300 during my worst Crohns flare, it was about about 10 last time I had my bloods checked but I was just getting over a cold so my IBD nuts wasn't worried.

fireandicecubes Fri 06-Jan-17 21:12:18

Sorry that should say nurse although he is nuts sometimes grin

gobbin Sat 07-Jan-17 18:05:06

Yeah mine went up to 240 just before an emergency ileostomy (got Crohns). Last tested it was 2.

A reading of 12 is very slightly higher than normal upper range (10).

VLCos Sat 07-Jan-17 18:52:29

Thanks everyone first time I had heard of it so was worried it could mean more especially with unexplained pain . I'll see how I go x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: