Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamins post Pneumonia

(13 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Fri 06-Jan-17 17:14:28

I'm very slowly recovering after spending Christmas in hospital with pneumonia. Absolutely wiped out and no energy at all. Anyone got any ideas about a good vitamin to take to help me feel better? I've been told to rest, it could take at least six weeks to recover, I'm taking plenty of water, resting and sleeping etc but just wondered if could be taking extra vitamins? Any ideas??

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 17:33:06

Sorry to hear of your illness. I'd probably go for a good quality multivitamin. Hope you feel much better soon 🌷

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Fri 06-Jan-17 18:03:04

Thanks- I'd read somewhere about Vitamin D, but not sure if it's one of those vitamins that is the current 'thing'?!

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 18:15:20

Yes, I take vitamin D as a blood test a few years ago showed I was deficient. But it can take 6 months to bring levels up to optimum. I think it's an 'in' vitamin because it has recently been recognized many people are lacking in it and how important it is to good health.

shewolfmum Fri 06-Jan-17 20:42:04

You can get vit d tested...google it. Around £40 i think from birmingham hosi by post. I would get a good multi...cytoplan is ok...food state and lipospheric vit c...pricey but liquid gold for your system.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sat 07-Jan-17 07:57:56

Thanks will look into them

lborgia Sat 07-Jan-17 20:21:20

Hi, you can take big doses of vit d3 and it def has a quick impact. If you search on here there were some great threads. I'm talking about 8-10,000 units a day initially, and this was also recommended to me by a gp.

Meanwhile, my son was very unwell last year - for 4 months, and the follow on fatigue was terrible. Gp recommended b12 - like this - www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/solgar-methylcobalamin-1000-g-nuggets-60001415 truly spectacular results. As in managed to go back to full weeks at school whereas before this was impossible. Good luck. Remember, if you take a single b vitamin for long, you need to take ab complex too to prevent imbalance.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sat 07-Jan-17 22:07:15

Thanks that's great- have bought the liposheric vit c will look at Vit D.

shewolfmum Sun 08-Jan-17 00:37:19

If supplementing heavy with D3 need to add in K2...some have both together but best to get levels checles out first

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 08-Jan-17 09:12:57

I've just had a full blood count done at gp to check platelets as they were high because of infection. Do you think vit levels will be on there?

lborgia Sun 08-Jan-17 13:18:54

Unlikely - an fbc (full blood count) doesn't include that, but should include ferritin, ask what that is..another silent knackerer of women!

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 08-Jan-17 19:54:13

Yes I'm on iron tablets as my iron stores are very low, so hoping will start to see some improvement to my energy levels which are zero

EmNetta Sun 08-Jan-17 23:35:45

Another one here recently prescribed vitD, initial month at 10,000 units daily, then one week off followed by 800 daily until the Spring. Wish I could say I felt better (after 2 months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now