Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Called back for repeat liver function test - why?

(3 Posts)
whojamaflip Fri 06-Jan-17 14:20:54

Went to doctors to ask to be tested for peri menopause as my cycle has been all over the place for the last 8 mths, feeling tired with mood swings and anxiety - as I haven't seen the gp for a couple of years she ordered a full set of bloods to be taken and said the results would be back today.

Everything is normal but they've booked me in for a repeat liver function test in 4 weeks.

What would they be looking for? Or what might have shown up - only spoke to the receptionist and she didn't know anything more.

I'm fit, 42, not overweight and don't drink excessive amounts of alcohol - maybe a couple of gin and tonics a week but not every week. Diet is reasonably heathy - am gluten free.

I've tried googling but all I seem to be able to find is info about liver disease due to alcoholism or hepatitis!

Anyone any ideas?

Cherylene Fri 06-Jan-17 15:40:39

Liver function is a range of test results. If it is just the odd thing out of range that doesn't point to anything in particular, they retest to make sure that it goes back to normal. It could just be something did not go right in the lab and the test result was not quite accurate, or just a blip.

DH has regular tests and one came back with high potassium. We googled and freaked out a bit, but it came back normal when it was repeated wink.

Kjs81 Tue 30-May-17 13:54:00

Hi whojamaflip - did you get to the bottom of this? Exact same thing happening to me now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now