Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid in pregnancy

(7 Posts)
yellowpostitnote Fri 06-Jan-17 11:04:03

I just wondered how much generally is being advised to raise thyroxine by in early pregnancy?

I know the nice guidance is 30-50%, my last pregnancy was confusing as by Sod's law the brand I was on was faulty. I ended up going from 125 to 225 after numerous tests; this was too much but was done as I swapped from the withdrawn brand to the hospital brand. So my own previous experience is a bit pointless.

I think in the us it's usually two extra doses per week which I think works out roughly 40%.

So just wondered what recent experience was.

I'm on 125 currently.

yellowpostitnote Fri 06-Jan-17 11:05:03

Oh and last tsh was 0.6 so I'm well replaced.

Helspopje Fri 06-Jan-17 11:08:40

Is all a bit random in my experience
On preg 4
Needed more than soubling in forst timester in one pregnancy but hasnt shifted at all in this. Am on smallest dose ive ever been on (50mcg) at m9 as had been able to lower the dose progressively vetween preg 3 and 4 by reducing body fat and ibcreasing lean body mass by weight training
Just need to get bloods done and see. I had them monthly in first timester then once per trimester thereafter. Also needed 6 weeks post delivery.

Helspopje Fri 06-Jan-17 11:10:37

*doubling
*first
*trimester
M9= 35/40
*between
*increasing

Not sure what happened there......

Cwtchythings Fri 06-Jan-17 11:18:58

I saw my consultant last week, who said there's no rule of thumb and they just have to go by the blood tests. 2 weeks before I got pregnant I asked for a trial dose increase from 100 to 125mcg, I'm in the 3rd trimester now and it seems to have been a good gamble as my bloods have come back just right all along. I'm glad I increased beforehand as they weren't interested in taking any bloods for thyroid or talking about dosage until I was 12 weeks!

yellowpostitnote Fri 06-Jan-17 11:31:47

Ah ok it looks like I have to just judge via blood tests then. Thanks. I'll raise by 25 on bfp and take from there. It was a bloody nightmare last time; I was tsh 13 by 12 weeks despite two raises - hopefully better this time.

Cwtchythings Fri 06-Jan-17 11:38:55

Good luck, hope you get your BFP soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now