Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cervical/ovarian cancer symptoms

(7 Posts)
xxchristenxx Fri 06-Jan-17 10:59:34

This is the first time I've posted on here so I'm really unsure about where to post etc.

Has anyone on here ever had cervical cancer or precancerous cells or even ovarian cancer? The reason I ask is I have a list of symptoms and I've looked online (I know you should never look online) and could be either of these. I've had 4 abnormal smear tests in the past but the last one I had in October 2014 came back normal. I phoned the doctors and they're saying I can't have another smear until October this year unless the GP refers me for one. I've booked the next available appointment with my GP this Tuesday at 9.30. I am terrified that I'm going to have cancer, I've been thinking about it for the last week, can't sleep, can't eat, all I can think of is my kids and what could happen.
Thank you for reading

NavyandWhite Fri 06-Jan-17 11:25:38

No experience sorry but glad to see your last smear was normal.

OC is pretty rare and many of the symptoms can be caused by other things. It's probably wise to air your worries to your GP even if it's just so that he/she can allay your fears.

Good luck.

PollyPerky Sat 07-Jan-17 08:53:39

sounds more as if you have a health anxiety which needs help.
You can have smears as often as you want if you pay for them privately- there are lots of clinics and private hospitals that do them, for about £70.

tribpot Sat 07-Jan-17 09:01:01

Is there any history of ovarian cancer in your family? Your GP may be able to refer you for an ovarian ultrasound if so - I had one done a couple of years ago due to family history. Not the most fun I've ever had but it helped to put my mind at risk.

It does sound as if you have a health anxiety and so I would advise you see your GP to discuss how your fears can be addressed. You could, although I don't think you should, have yourself tested for the HPV virus, certain strains of which are responsible for causing cervical cancer.

Jjacobb Sat 07-Jan-17 14:57:46

I've had cervical cancer. The only symptom I had to start with was a slight discharge. It wasn't offensive and I put it down to the menopause. I had a clear smear in 2010, in 2013 I went for a smear on a Tuesday, on the Friday I got a letter saying I needed a colposcopy urgently and had been booked for one on the Monday. After my colposcopy I was told there and then that I had CC -the doctor could clearly see a 4 inch tumour- aside from the discharge i had had no symptoms.
Further investigations showed I had stage two cancer. My chemo started four weeks later and the night before I started bleeding extremely heavily. I lost so much blood I was rushed to hospital and needed a transfusion the next morning before I could start my chemo.
CC often has no symptoms, you sound worried though so a good doctor should allow you to have another smear but if they don't you can have one privately. Also symptoms that could be cancer are much more likely to be something else much less worrying. I hope your GP helps put your mind at rest.

tribpot Sat 07-Jan-17 15:06:28

Jjacob, sometimes it's the lab who reject the sample when the patient isn't due another smear - I would hope in this case if the doctor orders one early to put OP's mind at rest he/she would only do so if it was known for sure the sample was going to be processed, but I would really hate for the OP to go through the sample taking only to find out the sample has been rejected without testing.

A friend of mine had a similar experience to you and she is now more than ten years on from diagnosis, I hope you're also doing okay?

PollyPerky Sat 07-Jan-17 15:13:03

I took myself out of the NHS screening program some years ago because I'd chosen to have smears privately, more often than the every 5 years for women my age. £50 every couple of years was a small price to pay. At the time- years back- it also meant a shorter wait for results. Now though the NHS does seem to get results back in 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now