Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My periods are all over the place. Any ideas?

(8 Posts)
Titsywoo Fri 06-Jan-17 01:37:00

So firstly I can't be pregnant as dh has a vasectomy. Also I have blood filled fallopian tubes which are damaged from a pelvic infection 6 years ago. I have a lot of internal scarring behind my womb too. So basically I am almost definitely infertile at this stage.

My period have been up and down in the last 5 years (often get a few close together - 16 days was the shortest cycle but 21 days happened a lot). I used to be always spot on 28 days. This year they have been from 21 days then back to 27 then 40 days then back to 25 and currently I am in day 36 with no period in sight. I'm only 38 so seems early for menopause and recent blood tests Inc fsh were normal. I also am getting very tired in the late afternoon but can't sleep at night (although blood tests showed low folate level). Getting more and more irritable and have had some full on pmt days and I never used to get that. Getting lots of hair on back, shoulders and chest. I was tested for pcos in my teens but didn't have it and the scans and laparoscopy I had in last two years didn't show it on my ovaries.

Any ideas? Feel like the GP won't take me seriously tbh as it doesn't seem that bad.

fallenempires Fri 06-Jan-17 01:57:28

No ideas as such but bumping for you as I can fully appreciate how worried that you must be.Is it worth posting in the menopause board there are some lovely posters there who may put your mind at rest.There's peri menopausal advice & support too.

fallenempires Fri 06-Jan-17 02:00:16

fgs! perimenopausal advice/help.

Titsywoo Fri 06-Jan-17 09:24:50

Thanks will do that smile

Titsywoo Tue 10-Jan-17 07:56:33

Still no period or reply on menopause page. I've done a pregnancy test and it was negative. Should I see the GP?

PollyPerky Tue 10-Jan-17 08:13:58

There are a certain % of women who have a premature menopause so you do seriously need to consider that. FSH tests are unreliable anyway- you'd need at least 2, done over 2 months, on days 2-5 of each cycle.
Even then they may be 'normal'.

I suggest you have a read of the info on the charity The Daisy Network which is for women with prem menopause and insist on a referral to a gynae for more tests and treatment. (HRT is essential if your periods stop before 45, to protect your bones and heart.)

Titsywoo Tue 10-Jan-17 21:41:46

Thanks Polly. I went to the GP this morning and asked for copies of all my blood test results over the last 2 years and actually my FSH hasn't been tested at all! Anyway I will go to the GP on Friday - I guess my worry is because I am under a gynae already - well two technically one who thinks I have endometriosis even though he has never actually seen evidence of it and another who thinks all the scarring i have in my pelvis is damage from the PID I had in 2009 which makes more sense as I have no endo symptoms - she won't refer me to another gynae and will say it is all linked. Maybe it is but I still want to know what is going on!

I will look at The Daisy Network. I am concerned about premature menopause and wonder if the damage already done to my fallopian tubes and ovaries etc could have started it off early.

youcantgoback Wed 11-Jan-17 18:14:00

Low ferritin messed up my periods. Might be worth getting your level checked. They are much better now my ferritin is mid range but the were all over the place when ferritin was at 10.
Underactive thyroid can cause unwanted hair. It's worth checking your ranges if it's been tested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now