Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Violently sick migraine and numbness- concerned?

(17 Posts)
butterscotch1106 Thu 05-Jan-17 18:38:37

Hello. Looking for advice if anyone has anything similar.

Around lunch on Monday I felt a migraine coming on (usual numbness/tingling in left fingers and almost blindness in left eye) and I took nurofen tablets, hoping to stop migraine coming on. Set off for home, my husband driving, but However we were a distance away from home on a twisty road and I was feeling car sick (I thought). when I got home at approx 4pm I started being sick every 15 mins until 10pm that night. I say I thought it was car sickness, but it might have been to do with migraine? I have never been seen with a migraine before. I couldn't sleep it off like I am usually able to sue to the pain in my head.

My concern is since Monday I have not felt right, still groggy, not hungry, and on Wednesday I had a migraine coming on again. I managed to get myself home and slept it off, and today my arm has been numb like as if you'd been lying on it and it went dead.

I do have a docs appmnt for next Tues, but I wondered if anyone had anything similar, or any advice?

therealsquireofwideacre Thu 05-Jan-17 18:43:02

Was it a hemiplegic migraine? They are particularly vicious and stroke-like in their intensity.

pseudonymity Thu 05-Jan-17 18:51:29

I have had migraines like this, it's quite rare but it's also a diagnosis of exclusion so you have to rule out other things it could be. I would ring for an emergency gp appointment in the morning at the least - I'm not a medic btw. With the left arm numbness the gp sent me straight to hospital. See what others advise on here. It's a serious symptom.

Hawkmoth Thu 05-Jan-17 19:00:30

If your migraines change you should get checked out to exclude anything serious. I have hemiplegic migraines and all the other kinds as well. They are horrible and I find the postdrome to be the hardest to deal with. Once I couldn't speak properly for a fortnight and other times I've been walking wonky for days.

Do get an appointment as soon as you can, migraines can mask other things, but even if it is 'just' (ironic laugh) a migraine, your doctor seeing you in a state can help get things moving in terms of finding a treatment to suit you. I've had a couple of embarrassing migraine related consultations with my GP - tears and scribbling in a notebook because I couldn't talk. He takes them quite seriously now!

butterscotch1106 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:28:08

Thank you for your replies. I think these are the kind of migraines I get, numbness in 1 hand and blond in corresponding eye and lips/tongue goes tingly and swollen feeling.

Have you worked out what is your trigger, as I can't seem to find out what is causing mine.

Am slightly getting concerned about the numbness in my fingers continuing past the initial pre-migraine phase, as I've lot had this before. It usually goes away after I have a sleep.

butterscotch1106 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:29:13

Also, what kinds of things might I get prescribed to help with this?

gleam Thu 05-Jan-17 19:31:17

Are you particularly stressed atm? The worst migraine I had, was after a kid's party when I was stressed. I couldn't say what I meant (aphasia).

GlitterIsTheEnemy Thu 05-Jan-17 19:36:01

My daughter gets migraines like you describe and has been hospitalised on occasion with the constant vomiting too. She can feel 'off' for several days afterwards too.

She now takes propranolol daily as a preventive and when she starts to feel a migraine coming on she now takes an anti sickness tablet and a sumatriptan nasal spay as well as a pain killer. This has really made a difference to the frequency and severity of her migraines. She also takes magnesium, vitamin D and coenzyme q10 which I definitely think has also helped. She regularly sees a neurologist who prescribed the meds and suggested the supplements.

PutAPlasterOn Thu 05-Jan-17 19:46:49

In my case if a migraine comes on fast and I don't take paracetamol & ibuprofen straight it quickly escalates to vomiting. It has a knock on effect for days with reoccurring migraines. I find migraleve helpful as it incorporates paracetamol & codeine along with buclizine for anti sickness.

FrutiFlutey Thu 05-Jan-17 19:50:50

Vomiting with a migraine is the worst but for me it usually fades after that. With the numbness I would definite get seen.

Also my trigger is caffeine. I'm completely caffeine free now. So don't forget to rule out anything that you've been eating / drinking for years!

butterscotch1106 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:03:39

I suppose I am a little stressed, house renovations taking a lot longer/way more expensive that we initially expected, and we are TTC for our first baby, so maybe I have been letting things get on top of me.
I don't drink coffee, so that can't be a trigger. The only thing I did eat before my episode on Monday, was chocolate buttons, and I know chocolate is a trigger, but I've had plenty of chocolate before, don't k ow why it would have an effect sometimes and not others. Surely every time I have chocolate I would get a migraine then?

I am finding the last few times when I have 1 migraine then I am likely to have another the next day or day after that, again unusual for me.

When I was 13-15ish, I used to have migraines monthly (probably menstrual related, but didn't make the connections at the time) Went on the pill and then they stopped. Had the copper coil fitted for the last 5 years and out now TTC.

My migraines have changed in how they are, in that I used to only get 1 and then sleep it off, but now they seem to be in 2's, leaving me feeling 'off' for days.

There is only 1 time when I remember being sick, I got sent home from school when I was about 14, couldn't see/speak and then was being sick, and Mum took me to A & E where I collapsed and blacked out for a whole night with no recollection of what was happening/ how I got there etc. Rushed by ambulance to another hospital where to this day they still don't know what happened to me.
Numerous tests/diet etc were checked but no one knows why I collapsed or what to do to avoid it.

I think I've freaked myself out again when I was sick/migraine on Monday, thinking I was going to collapse again.

When I was 14, because of the strange way I collapsed and because they couldn't find out what it was, they told me that if anything like this happened again, I likely wouldn't survive, so I think this is why I'm panicking when I'm getting migraines again.

Thanks for all your help so far, sorry for long lost.

pklme Thu 05-Jan-17 22:47:57

My first migraine symptom was sickness. I had three or four weird vomiting incidents before I went to the doctor, and argued with his diagnosis as I didn't get a headache at all. It didn't take long for the headache to follow... Though to be fair the sickness eased off.

gluteustothemaximus Thu 05-Jan-17 23:01:17

Sounds like a hemiplegic migraine. I've had these. First one was very scary. Have had ones with vomiting and without. Am less stressed now than used to be so migraines are less, that's not a coincidence. Stress is awful.

You don't always get the headache. Sometimes you can just get the sickness, or the aura. Some don't get the aura, we're all different and migraines can be different from one to the next.

Might be worth seeing gp to check bp etc nothing underlying. Otherwise keep an eye on your triggers/diary of when you get them.

Migraines are debilitating x

Hawkmoth Fri 06-Jan-17 17:02:10

How are you OP? You said you are TTC, could you be pregnant?

butterscotch1106 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:17:36

Well, I am just into my 2ww, so I'm not sure yet if I am pregnant this month, but I'm hoping so! I took a test on wed, but it was negative, not surprisingly, it was far too early.
Is migraine a sign of pregnancy?

Hawkmoth Sat 07-Jan-17 18:30:47

Well I've had four. With two of them my migraines were worse. Much worse. So it can change things.

butterscotch1106 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:40:30

Ok, that's interesting to know! How many weeks pregnant any were you when they got worse? I couldn't be more than 1 week, if I am pregnant? I have been feeling nauseous on and off all week, don't know if that's to do with migraines at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now