Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coudl also be "relationships" - my little sister is falling apart

(7 Posts)
Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 13:35:49

She is 21, has been with bf/dp for 5 years. Living together for 3 or 4.

Having relationship problems...nothing specific, my gut feeling is that they just aren't 'in love' anymore and it has run it's course, but she is describing feeling really really anxious, fearful and panicky ( to the extent that she is throwing up and shaking) when she thinks about their relationship.

Several months ago she had an 'almost affair' - got very close to another bloke, "nothing really happened" (ie the didn't have sex), and she and bf/dp have discussed and 'communicated' with each other and are/were 'past that'.

She can go for few days thinking all is fine and back on track and then, with no warning or apparent trigger, it all feels wrong and negative again.

Does this sound like panic attacks/anxiety disorder/depression?

She is going to GP.
She lives MILES away from me, and has no friends or family near by as they moved to a new City fairly recently.

Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 13:37:24

Oh, sorry, was a bit long!
May not be able to 'chat' about it much now, as I'm at work and shouldn't really be MN-ing, so will catch up this evening.

calebsmum Wed 21-Feb-07 15:06:00

Hi, it could be an anxiety disorder relating to the relationship. Has she had problems with panic/anxiety in the past?? Just sounds like she's in the horrid postition of shall I end it or carry on stage of the relationship. Either way she should see the doctor and see what he suggests. I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and often feel very alone and isolated so make sure you call your sister lots and let her know she's not alone.

Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 16:15:54

quick 'bump' while I get ready to leave work...

Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 16:19:27

Not aware of her having previous problems BUT
Mum was quite highly strung and also depressed...our parents divorced when she was 4 or 5 and Mum died when she was about 12...Dad is also hyper-analytical ( can't make a decision to save his life, ponders all the possible outcomes and outcomes of outcomes!) and Sis has this element in her personality too.
She says she 'can't stop her brain working' going over and over the problem and what if's.

Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 18:49:49

and another bumpette, because I am somewhat pre-occupied by this at the moment (although was distracted briefly by cod's discovery of an attractive yet water proof coat...)

Jessajam Thu 22-Feb-07 18:55:47

She's been given tryptophan (anti-d's) for the 'mental' stuff and beta blockers for the physical effects....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now