Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How did you keep your 3 year old from scratching his/her chicken pox?

(6 Posts)
Eleusis Wed 21-Feb-07 13:35:06

They appeared last night night and she is apparently covered with themnow. Poor girl?

I'm sure she'll be fine, but my biggest worry is that she will scratch the ones onher face and leave a scar... so any tips anyone might have on keeping them from scratching would be most appreciated.

Dave1978 Wed 21-Feb-07 13:37:14

the only thing I foudn helped was tons of distration and gently removing her hand when she went to scratch. Mine didn't feel too ill once the spots came out, so we did lots of messy play, and watching films with big bowls of popcorn and long playful bathtimes. Creams like camomile can also help ease the itching.

TenaLady Wed 21-Feb-07 13:37:21

Oil based calamine lotion, Bicarb of soda (3 heaped tbls) in a warm bath.

BadHair Wed 21-Feb-07 13:42:25

Ds1 was 3 when he got chickenpox, and I got him to pat the spots rather than scratch them. I told him that if he scratched them with his fingers it would make them worse, and he went along with it.
Ds2 was 1 when he had it (at the same time as Ds1, which was fun), and scratch mits did the trick for him.
My friend told me about putting Calgel on the spots when they're very itchy, as it has a gentle anaesthetic in which numbs them for a short time. I haven't tried it, though, as I didn't find out about it till too late, but it makes sense.

BadHair Wed 21-Feb-07 13:44:28

Oh gosh, yes, calamine. I did use that on them, and on myself when I had it (I was 17 at the time so was desperate not to get scars). In fact every time I smell the stuff I think of chickenpox and start to itch.

Eleusis Wed 21-Feb-07 20:31:26

I have just conceded to letting her sleep without socks on her hands, which I initially put there to keep her from scratching her face. Oh I am terrified she is going to scratch and have a big scar on her lovely face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now