Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore throat every morning

(7 Posts)
Misericord Tue 03-Jan-17 22:44:57

Hello all, hoping someone can help!

I wake up every morning with a really sore throat - it feels totally parched and really hurts when I swallow. My nose is also usually rather blocked up as if I have a cold. This without having gone to bed with any of these things.

Google tells me that this is probably because my mouth is open (snoring or otherwise while asleep) - but my husband tells me I don't snore and he's rarely seen me asleep with my mouth open (we work quite different schedules so he iften gets up while I'm asleep, hence is a witness!).

Any advice on why this might be happening and how to stop it? Currently I have lemsip instead of water by my bed and am sipping it through the night, in the hope it will soothe it, but that isn't a long term plan....

Thanks!

Kohi36 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:54:45

I used to wake up every morning with a sore throat. For me it was a symptom of hypothyroidism. Since I got optimal on thyroid meds I don't get it anymore. Have u had your thyroid tested recently?

OhWellNeverMindEh Tue 03-Jan-17 23:01:03

Are you sleeping by with the heating on and the window shut?

I get headaches and sore throats if I do.

Misericord Tue 03-Jan-17 23:02:50

I had my thyroid tested a few years ago and all fine - and don't have any other symptoms of it?

Heating off (or down to minimal or the cat gets sad ), window open...

BeigeLeaf Wed 04-Jan-17 00:20:20

Could be acid reflux and/or post nasal drip.

Try Gaviscon before bed and antihistamine.

It could be house dust mite allergy?

DanielaMorris5 Fri 03-Feb-17 05:17:54

I had similar symptoms and my doctor told me my immune system is rather weak.. I found gargling rather helpful ( here are some mixes with essential oils natadviser.com/essential-oils-for-sore-throat/ )+ I drank warm tea every morning. Usually in 30 mins everything was ok.

lborgia Fri 03-Feb-17 05:59:28

I worked for an ENT last year, and the general advice she gave out for this (which obviously comes with a huge caveat that it is entirely up to you whether you take any notice of this) was:

1 - Saline washes/sprays regularly throughout the day to help reduce/thin any mucus. Washes are more effective but some of us find it a bit icky and if compliance is going to be a problem, just use the saline sprays A LOT.

1a - Almost forgot - once cleared out, Nasonex or similar - I think it's once a day, this is a spray. Relatively new product, but really good. Doesn't need a script. Reduces swelling and generally heals the passages.

2 - PPI - such as Somac - which reduces stomach acid in case of silent reflux (medicines such as Gaviscon contain a huge amount of salt, among other things, but obv. You need to check patient info on PPIs too), as pp said, just before bed for a couple of weeks.

3 - Antihistimine, worth trying different ones as we all seem to react differently to them - Zirtek (certirizine) works beautifully for DS, but I do better with the high dose (180mg) Telfast - fexofenadine.

4 - Fastidious damp cleaning around bedroom particularly - difficult if you have carpet, but get someone else to vac if poss or where a mask, and do it in the morning so it's settled by the evening.

You can try one at a time, or go all in. Meanwhile, an "integrative" GP told me to stop drinking milk - and that did it for me!

Good luck, it does suck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now