Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recovering from a stomach virus

(7 Posts)
Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:06:01

So out household caught the dreaded stomach virus going round mostly it wasn't to bad for everyone typically main symptoms lasting only 6 hours and then a day to recover, for me however I suffer from long term chronic gastritis which flares up every few months. Everyone else as I said recovered within about 24 hours and only suffered actual vomiting not diarrhoea. I actually suffered both although again only severe for about 6 hours however my recovery seems to be much longer than everyone else. A week later and I am still tired, occasionally nauseous. Can't eat or drink much without feeling full bloated and sick. Is this normal or could I have something else going on? I presume my history with gastritis could affect my recovery? But a week later and still only able to manage small mouthfuls and sips at a time? I am back at work today after the Xmas period and I just still feel so drained :-( is there anything I can take to help? Already taking peppermint capsules which I take long term anyway and also have been drinking yakult everyday. Just want to feel normal again and stop feeling so sick sad x

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 03-Jan-17 08:10:48

I would stop all dairy.
small sips of water throughout the day. if you are still like this by midweek I would see a gp.

I don't want to scare you, but I had reduced kidney function after a similar episode. took a few months to recover, but am fine now. just have to be careful with certain medication (for example ibuprofen).

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:22:33

Thanks pink I think I will go as feel like it's gone on for too long. I can't take ibroprofen as it aggravates my gastritis so have only been able to take paracetamol when needed. What are the symptoms re kidney function? I feel like I am weeing ok, not as much as normal (but then I do have a bladder of a child usually lol) but going several times a day, it is a little dark but not as dark as it was when I suffered severe dehydration when I was pregnant. I am terrible for water intake normally anyway so my wee is never really very clear. X

ihatethecold Tue 03-Jan-17 08:56:43

I would see your doctor.
I had norovirus last April and took along time to recover.
I then got a stomach virus in November and was given opramezole because I felt so rank 2weeks later.

I feel for you op. I still can't eat certain foods that I used to love.
I've gone right off things.

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 09:13:02

Cold I feel for you :-( don't actually think it was Noro as aside from myself suffering with both d & v everyone else only suffered vomiting. I have definitely gone off foods, actually won't be a bad thing I guess in the long run as I eat quite unhealthy and have a horrendous sweet tooth so maybe this may help me stop that but it is rubbish feeling like this though :-( x

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 03-Jan-17 11:23:21

I just was generally unwell, tired, no apetite but hungry but feeling full and if eating too much (more than a child's portion) it resulted in d&v...
urine output ok.

lost 2 stone though grin

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:30:30

Wow! Shall definitely get myself to doctors this week if not improved. Thank you. I do feel unwell but can't put my finger on why exactly. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now