Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Recovering from a stomach virus

(7 Posts)
Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:06:01

So out household caught the dreaded stomach virus going round mostly it wasn't to bad for everyone typically main symptoms lasting only 6 hours and then a day to recover, for me however I suffer from long term chronic gastritis which flares up every few months. Everyone else as I said recovered within about 24 hours and only suffered actual vomiting not diarrhoea. I actually suffered both although again only severe for about 6 hours however my recovery seems to be much longer than everyone else. A week later and I am still tired, occasionally nauseous. Can't eat or drink much without feeling full bloated and sick. Is this normal or could I have something else going on? I presume my history with gastritis could affect my recovery? But a week later and still only able to manage small mouthfuls and sips at a time? I am back at work today after the Xmas period and I just still feel so drained :-( is there anything I can take to help? Already taking peppermint capsules which I take long term anyway and also have been drinking yakult everyday. Just want to feel normal again and stop feeling so sick sad x

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 03-Jan-17 08:10:48

I would stop all dairy.
small sips of water throughout the day. if you are still like this by midweek I would see a gp.

I don't want to scare you, but I had reduced kidney function after a similar episode. took a few months to recover, but am fine now. just have to be careful with certain medication (for example ibuprofen).

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:22:33

Thanks pink I think I will go as feel like it's gone on for too long. I can't take ibroprofen as it aggravates my gastritis so have only been able to take paracetamol when needed. What are the symptoms re kidney function? I feel like I am weeing ok, not as much as normal (but then I do have a bladder of a child usually lol) but going several times a day, it is a little dark but not as dark as it was when I suffered severe dehydration when I was pregnant. I am terrible for water intake normally anyway so my wee is never really very clear. X

ihatethecold Tue 03-Jan-17 08:56:43

I would see your doctor.
I had norovirus last April and took along time to recover.
I then got a stomach virus in November and was given opramezole because I felt so rank 2weeks later.

I feel for you op. I still can't eat certain foods that I used to love.
I've gone right off things.

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 09:13:02

Cold I feel for you :-( don't actually think it was Noro as aside from myself suffering with both d & v everyone else only suffered vomiting. I have definitely gone off foods, actually won't be a bad thing I guess in the long run as I eat quite unhealthy and have a horrendous sweet tooth so maybe this may help me stop that but it is rubbish feeling like this though :-( x

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 03-Jan-17 11:23:21

I just was generally unwell, tired, no apetite but hungry but feeling full and if eating too much (more than a child's portion) it resulted in d&v...
urine output ok.

lost 2 stone though grin

Nottsangel2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:30:30

Wow! Shall definitely get myself to doctors this week if not improved. Thank you. I do feel unwell but can't put my finger on why exactly. X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: