Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Husband shaving off beard

(12 Posts)
Mummyhug Mon 02-Jan-17 20:54:28

So my husband is shaving off his beard after a long time. He'll have dry and sensitive skin underneath and I was wondering what a suitable alternative to an aftershave balm might be?
I wanted to suggest using savlon just this time to calm his skin is this a bad idea?
He's got some men's moisturiser but it's scented and not suitable for broken or sensitive skin.
He's got a big interview tomorrow so he can't afford to risk sore skin and I don't really know what to suggest
He's got a good foam and a badger hair brush but hasn't used aftercare type products on his face before and in the past has suffered with red and sore skin for days

anyoldname76 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:58:34

im a bit useless but how about e45 or the little pots of nivea

Mummyhug Mon 02-Jan-17 21:09:15

I don't think you're useless at all anyoldname, I think that's good advice. Except I don't have any hmm

LucyBabs Mon 02-Jan-17 21:12:54

Does he have to shave for the interview?

Lweji Mon 02-Jan-17 21:15:03

What do you have?
Olive oil? Almond oil?
They're good for babies' skin.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 02-Jan-17 21:15:56

Is today the next day to shave off that beard then?

My DP is a convert to beard oil. Basically face oil, but don't tell him that..... Smells great, I buy him scents I like grin. He loves the softer beard and acknowledges it keeps his skin underneath in good condition.

statetrooperstacey Mon 02-Jan-17 21:19:44

I would have thought his skin would be the opposite, supers soft and lovely? Coconut oil? After sun? What do you have in?

Mummyhug Mon 02-Jan-17 21:28:53

It's kind of a last minute decision to shave it off.
Usually I cut his hair myself and we just shave his head and the beard at the same time then he grows it out again carrying on from what his mum used to do for him before he moved in with me
Now for this interview he's been to the barbers and had his first ever proper haircut in over 30 years and he had a professional beard trim too. He looks a hundred times better and a lot less like a hobo grin but people are still commenting that he needs to get rid of the beard for his interview.
Personally I find him so much more attractive with a beard and it's been a long time since I've looked at him and really fancied the pants off of him so I don't want it to go but I admit he'd look more professional without it.
We only really have savlon and some aqueous cream I think, do you think they'll help?

carrotcakecupcake Mon 02-Jan-17 21:30:39

Not an aftershave balm, but my DH always came out in a rash after shaving (so much that he shaved at night before bed to let it go down before going to work). He's had great success since switching from shaving cream/foam to shaving oil (Somersets smells the nicest I think, and I like their ladies shaving oil for my legs too).

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 02-Jan-17 21:36:40

If the beard is still on, looks smart and is recently trimmed, don't cut it now! Especially if his skin is angry underneath. Putting razor burn on top will surely look ten times worse than a neat beard.

Is the beard a no no in that line of work?

Norfolkbumpkin Mon 02-Jan-17 21:38:44

Over Christmas dh attempted to trim his own beard with disastrous results, (hacked a chunk out of it), so he had to shave it off. He found his skin was in really soft, healthy-looking condition underneath. No rash at all, so I guess it had a good break from constant shaving whilst covered by a beard.

Mummyhug Mon 02-Jan-17 21:57:00

This just in-
The beard has gone!
And his skin is surprisingly soft underneath!
In the past after shaving his beard off he's always had razor burn but I think he's just been more careful knowing he's got the interview tomorrow.
He's all baby faced now but he does look smart.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow now!
Any tips on group interviews...? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now