Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in stomach - should I go back to the GP or am I being ridiculous

(9 Posts)
Nonreplicable Mon 02-Jan-17 17:54:45

Had a horrible D&V bug a few weeks ago, stomach ended up empty and flat so could easily feel small lump, about 2 fingers above belly button. It is the size of a bean, quite hard and not painful at all.

Doctor Google suggested possible hernia so I booked an appointment to see GP. Problem is, in the two weeks up to the appointment I could only feel the lump occasionally, most of the time it was not there. Went to see GP, he examined me and could not feel a thing. Said pretty confident no hernia there but my muscles are quite far apart so it is possible I could feel an internal organ!

A week later, the lump is back and is now there pretty much all the time. Should I go back?

I alternate between feeling completely ridiculous and like I am potentially wasting their time. On the other hand, I was diagnosed with (non invasive) breast cancer the week before Christmas so am completely freaked out this could be related.

Does anyone have any advice? Would you go back?

Jayfee Mon 02-Jan-17 18:01:02

yes..of course. putting your mind at rest is hugely important

tribpot Mon 02-Jan-17 18:01:08

I would go back now that the lump is more consistently there.

Nonreplicable Mon 02-Jan-17 18:16:45

Thank you very much.

If there is anyone about who can assure me that no form of cancer can possibly manifest with a lump in that location, I would be very grateful.

Crumbs1 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:20:39

It is not related to breast cancer. Good luck with treatment - assume surgery soon?

Nonreplicable Mon 02-Jan-17 18:29:53

Third week of January probably.

My dad passed away from cancer a few months ago so I am all over the place. sad

Crumbs1 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:58:42

Cancer isn't one disease but many. Breast cancer treatment is completely manageable - nowhere near as bad as you are imagining. Non invasive is about the best you can get - if that doesn't sound too odd. I did surgery chemo and radio in 2010 and whilst one boob is slightly smaller it's only noticeable when I am undressed. Was back to work and driving on day 4 post op but had wide local excision and axillary clearance rather than mastectomy.

Nonreplicable Mon 02-Jan-17 19:12:13

Yes, wide local excision is what I am due to have. Should be straight forward from what I gather, as long as they find nothing else.

I should not have it in the first place though, as I am lowest risk group, whatever metric you look at. I am fairly young, have no family history, eat a healthy diet, exercise etc. Which is frustrating, because this means that there is nothing I can change to help myself.

Thanks for listening. smile

Crumbs1 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:42:29

I breastfed six for about two years each - life seems unfair sometimes but my daughter has a phrase " Shit happens" which she used when I tearfully told them all. Stopped the tears and made me smile. You'll be fine and no reason whatsoever to think they will find anything else. It will be over before you know it xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now