Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very out of date milk...

(17 Posts)
TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:46:30

So, about 4 hours ago I had a coffee that I later realised I'd put 17 day out of date milk in!!! It didn't look, smell or taste rancid... just a bit odd.
What are my chances of coming out of this without getting ill?? I'm so annoyed with myself as I'm SO paranoid about use by dates as I have a sick phobia! This literally couldn't have happened to a worse person!

BubbleFairy Mon 02-Jan-17 13:47:12

If the milk didn't look, taste, or smell, rancid, then I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:47:19

I should add, I haven't eaten anything today, nor do I plan to!

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:48:18

You think? It did smell a bit weird...

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Jan-17 13:50:14

I think you'll be fine.

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:50:31

I love you both!!xx

BabyHaribo Mon 02-Jan-17 13:51:13

I don't think you could get ill from the small amount in coffee.

Milk usually turns sour and tastes horrible but probably wouldn't hurt you.

Try not to worry you will be fine (fellow emetophobe!)

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:52:30

Thanks haribo. I only drank 2/3 of the coffee too(I'm weird about the last bits of hot drinks!)

isupposeitsverynice Mon 02-Jan-17 13:52:44

I think if you drank it four hours ago you'd know by now if you were going to be ill. I'm amazed that milk that old didn't knock you over when you opened the bottle!

Beewhisperer Mon 02-Jan-17 13:53:58

If it was off enough to make you illiterate would have curdled as soon as the hot water hit it.
You'll be fine.

Manumission Mon 02-Jan-17 13:54:46

17 days and it was still liquid?!

Beewhisperer Mon 02-Jan-17 13:55:08

Illiterate- that would have to be some nasty milk

I meant ill obviously

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:56:27

Haha. Very droll! It was at our caravan so it was in a very cold fridge! I though(soon to be ex DP!!!) had chucked out the old one and replaced it with the one we just bought... he's in the dog house grin
There were no lumps in the coffee. Or in the milk when I poured a bit of it into a glass!

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:56:38

Oh!! Haha

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 13:57:30

Yes! I'm gobsmacked it wasn't the consistency of cottage cheese! Ugh

BubbleFairy Mon 02-Jan-17 14:00:06

If it were in a cold cold fridge, almost freezer like, it may have done the frozen thing hence being ok.

I always buy the cravendale 7 day stuff now as I'm paranoid about milk, but milk generally seems to last longer than when we were kids.

If it were normal consistency and your coffee didn't need to be spat across the room, I reckon you're ok.

(Fellow sick anxiety sufferer here)

TheEdgeIsNigh Mon 02-Jan-17 14:06:39

Seems there's a few of us emets on here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now