Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arthritis and hand / finger splints

(7 Posts)
mineofuselessinformation Sun 01-Jan-17 21:32:26

Does anyone have any experience of the best hand / finger splints?
I'm hypermobile and have some form of inflammatory arthritis (yet to be fully diagnosed, currently on Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate), and have finally had to give in and get some help, particularly for my hands before they totally seize up.
I currently have a thumb splint and a stretchy tube for my little finger on my dominant hand (had to discard the neoprene one for my middle finger as it pressed on a joint too much) as I need to be able to use it, but am going back to see occ health on the 9th.
The oval eight splints look good for stopping me over-extending some of my finger and thumb joints, but seem so expensive for a piece of plastic.
Any advice please?

mineofuselessinformation Mon 02-Jan-17 08:58:23

Bump?

Greenteandchives Mon 02-Jan-17 09:06:38

Could you ask your gp for a referral to see an Occupational Therapist at a Hand Clinic? You should be able to have something custom made for you.
It's really hard to advise you re off the peg splints without seeing exactly what the problem is. When I get of the peg splints for clients I nearly always have to adapt them.

SamPotatoes Mon 02-Jan-17 09:22:33

I've got hypermobile joints and have struggled with off the peg splints as they hold my wrist at an unnatural (for me) angle. The GP was on the point of sending me to get one tailor made when I discovered KT tape in Boots. www.kttape.com/ I use a couple of straps to keep the joint stable- there's flexibility but I can't over extend. Less bothersome than a full splint as well.

It is quite expensive for a roll but really helps stabilise my wrist. I've found I don't need to wear it all the time- I put it on in advance if I know I'm going to be lifting/carrying/doing a lot of typing but other than that I wear it only when the joint flares up. That gives a couple of days to heal and I can then go weeks before I need it again. I'm off the anti inflammatory drugs that I was popping like sweeties as well.

SamPotatoes Mon 02-Jan-17 09:24:58

Forgot to add I've got arthritis starting in my fingers so I've been cutting the tape and wrapping it round to support those joints which is helping.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 02-Jan-17 10:20:13

Sam, the occ therapist was very anti kinesiology tape! I use it when my big toe joints are sore, and have been known to use it on my fingers - but I think I need something more now. The movement in my thumb joints is quite abnormal, apparently.

SamPotatoes Mon 02-Jan-17 11:01:23

Mine said it was a really good solution for my joints (my wrist is such a strange shape I've had a&e docs think I had a broken wrist and my fingers and thumb bend in all sorts of strange ways). Just goes to show everyones joints are different! Hope you find something that works for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now