Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BP of 140/100 (not pregnant) .. normally over 60 -80 .. am anxious

(12 Posts)
MrsGoranVisnjic Tue 20-Feb-07 20:22:18

and know anxiety doesn't help

also know that it was a one-off and doc said didn't mean anything on its own

having ecg tomorrow and bloods (have been having dizzy spells)

feeling concerned .. only ever had high bp with DS pregnancy when I also had a hemmorhage in my eye knocking out my eyesight on one side for 8 months

arrrgghhhh .. soothing words of wisdom please

Overrun Tue 20-Feb-07 20:28:11

I have no expertise to help or reassure you on this, just bumping for you though

Mercy Tue 20-Feb-07 20:32:58

Your normal blood pressure is 60/80? That's too low , isn't it

Average blood pressure is 120/80. Your reading of 140/100 isn't high at all (apart from the 100 reading) - mine is still that high after medication <worry emoticon>

MrsGoranVisnjic Tue 20-Feb-07 20:39:36

sorry my normal BP is anywhere between 120/60 to 120/80

anything where bottom figure is over 90 is high I thought

MrsGoranVisnjic Tue 20-Feb-07 21:27:50

Hello.... ello... llo... lo

Is there anybody out there.... out there... there... ere

jalopy Tue 20-Feb-07 21:44:09

Could be a one off. Perhaps you were more stressed than you realised. What did your dr say about it?

MissGolightly Tue 20-Feb-07 21:49:08

Oh dear, no great words of wisdom but just sympathy, I had high bp in pregnancy and it was horrid, not helped by a whacking great white-coat syndrome. It got to the point where I was so stressed about it that I could literally feel my heart-rate shoot up as soon as they got the monitor out.

However, to keep things in perspective, 140/100 isn't that high. It could easily be a one off caused by anxiety etc. Try not to stress, drink plenty of water, keep your feet up. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

mummytosteven Tue 20-Feb-07 22:52:33

it's higher than it should be, but not massively too high. mine has gone up to 160/105 when on Pill - so switched to mini-pill. Avoid caffeine for 1 hour or so before you get it checked, and if you are bursting for the loo that can artificially raise it. if you are overweight, losing a bit and exercise are likely to help. bizarrely my BP went low during PG despite my problems with the Pill. (90/50 at tone point)

mummytosteven Tue 20-Feb-07 22:53:12

btw any form of hormonal contraception can raise your BP, even progestagen only (though the combined Pill tends to be the worst culprit)

Mercy Wed 21-Feb-07 11:16:16

MrsGoran, let us know how you got on today.

noddyholder Wed 21-Feb-07 11:22:25

100 as a second figure is high.The new guidelines have reduced the second figure recommendations to 75-80.

MrsGoranVisnjic Wed 21-Feb-07 12:20:24

I'm feeling a little better today actually .. last night my sinuses were hurting and now I'm streaming with cold so am hopeful the dizziness was the onset of a particularly nasty little virus

Had my ecg .. she said it looked normal
had my fasting blood test too

I reckon I'm going to be aneamic again

have concern over the BP peaking (due to my eye problem previously) but have convinced myself it was the doctor getting it wrong .. I'll go back and get it rechecked in a week or so I think

thanks for concern

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now