Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Metronidazole & Medical Records

(13 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 01-Jan-17 10:21:45

A few years ago I was given intravenous amoxicillin and metronidazole. My eyesight was affected, I am usually short sighted but I became long sighted. It was only temporary but it scared me. I've never had any problems with amoxicillin so it had to be the metronidazole.

I told the nurse at the time and she was very patronising and told me there was nothing wrong, I was just upset and it affected my eyes! I don't ever want to take metronidazole again but how do I get this on my medical records? The medical staff didn't believe me and it's not actually an allergy (although I told my dentist I'm allergic). Can I just have a note added to my records?

I know I can ask my GP surgery but after being dismissed before I want to be able to argue my case if necessary. Thanks in advance

quicklydecides Sun 01-Jan-17 10:24:10

Why don't you just never take it again? If a doctor ever suggests you take it, say no.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 01-Jan-17 10:52:16

I obviously will say no and DH has been told that, if I can't speak for myself for any he has to tell them I can't take. I'd just like it on my records so I don't get given it in hospital.

Heratnumber7 Sun 01-Jan-17 10:56:41

I'm not sure having it on your record would guarantee you wouldn't be given it in hospital. The NHS isn't that slick unfortunately.
And if you were at a hospital away from home they wouldn't have access to your records anyway.

I'd be asking the GP for a very small dose to see if you have the same issue again. Or contact the drug manufacturer to ask if it's a known side effect, and if so, how serious it is.

isobel79 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:21:59

That's really bad. Only recently I had an op and the doctor asked what I'm allergic too and I said metronidazole. In fact whenever I go to any health professionals I'm always asked and I tell that what happens if i take it.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 01-Jan-17 11:27:46

Look up the side effects to see if it is a recognised side effect
Ask a Pharmacist if you aren't sure
If it was a coincidence it would be a shame to miss out on a useful antibiotic in future

If it seems likely then tell your GP that you are intolerant to metronidazole
And if you go into hospital you will need to say you are intolerant to it when asked about allergies

trickyex Sun 01-Jan-17 11:30:29

I didnt get on at all well with Metronidazole, I think its well known as being very strong (and therefore effective) but does have a long list of side effects.
When I was prescribed this they did ask me if I was allergic to any antiobiotics so just say yes or intolerant as Hopeless suggests.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 01-Jan-17 13:01:13

There's no way it was a coincidence, it's never happened before or since. Blindness, blurred vision and decreased vision are listed as side effects so there's no way I'm taking it again, I'm not prepared to take chances with my eyesight. I'll make sure I tell my GP if they try and prescribe it to me.

I think what annoyed me most was I wasn't asked if I had any allergies/intolerances (although I obviously didn't know at the time) and when I did have a problem it was dismissed as I was upset. To right I was upset - I'd had blood tests (extreme needle phobia), been told I had pancreatitis (my aunt had nearly died from it) and then I couldn't see properly!

Thanks for all your advice

Ciutadella Sun 01-Jan-17 13:08:33

If you have an allergy to any antiobiotics you can get a Medicalert pendant or bracelet saying this - medicalert will also keep your details on record so the hospital can call them for more details if needed. For some people this is absolutely essential - allergic reactions can be fatal, and if you're unconscious eg after an accident, the docs can't ask you!

But as far as i remember you may need to get the gp to confirm you have an allergy before Medicalert will issue the pendant - I'm not absolutely sure, but worth checking.

Usually all medical practitioners, dentists etc will ask you if you have allergies (if you're conscious!), but I have been surprised on occasion not to be asked (and have been offered an ab I'm allergic to, so it wasn't that they had read the records and therefore didn't need to ask.)

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 01-Jan-17 13:13:15

Side effects listed here include a number of vision related effects.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 01-Jan-17 13:22:37

Record the reaction in the Yellow Card scheme. This can be done by an individual, a GP or other health professional.

In future, say you have had a reaction to it and do not wish to have it. No need to say allergy / intolerance. It is a medicine, it has side effects.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 01-Jan-17 13:27:37

More reactions listed here.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 01-Jan-17 18:41:26

Thanks another. I've recorded the reaction on the Yellow Card and the side effects make interesting reading - I have no idea why I was dismissed out of hand and told it could affect my eyesight. I definitely won't be taking it again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now