Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Loose upper molar

(20 Posts)
Governoress86 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:07:30

I am having my 2nd upper molar extracted on 17/1/17 due to it being decayed and being abscessed. However i have noticed that this evening the tooth is loose and feels a bit tender when i bite down and the gum is still a bit puffy and now im petrified as its new year and my dentist is not open until tuesday now

Should i be worried?

Many thanks

Mrsmorton Sat 31-Dec-16 21:16:32

No. Give them a call on Tuesday. This is pretty standard for a tooth in such bad condition. If it's any solace, it will probably be easier to extract.

Hot salt mouthwash and your normal painkillers should tide you over.

If the pain is unbearable and not helped by OTC painkillers or your face starts to swell then give 111 a call.

Governoress86 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:31:43

Thank you.

Im just worried in case it falls out before or in my sleep.
Im getting pains in my head on the same side and now im panicking incase the infection is back and spread.

BobbyNoggle Sat 31-Dec-16 22:39:10

Very, very unlikely indeed to fall out in your sleep.
Best thing to do , as other dentist says, is copious HSMW and regular pain relief.
Ring your General Dentist Tues@ 9am - to see if you can get an appointment; hopefully they'll extract it for you then.
If I remember correctly you've had/are on your 2nd lot of antibiotics ?
If you have severe symptoms over the weekend - ring your dental practice & listen to the emergency dental provision from their answer machine message.

Governoress86 Sat 31-Dec-16 22:53:47

Yes i finished my second lot of antibiotics on the 28/12/16. Its tender to bite down on. Im not in that much pain that i need pain killers but i am rinsing with hot salty water.

I am hoping they do take it out for me on tuesday, surely they can not make me wait til the 17/1/17.

I am being careful how i am eating as i dont want it falling out untill the dentist takes it.

Governoress86 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:40:51

I just wanted to add the tonight kept feeling something sharp inside my gum where the lose tooth is so i had a look in the mirror and there is a small white bump on my gum above the tooth and now im panicking now. My dentist is not open until tomorrow morning.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Many thanks

LightastheBreeze Mon 02-Jan-17 19:56:30

Does it look like a whitehead on the front of your gum, if it does it will be from an infection in the gum which causes a sinus for the pus to escape. This isn't sharp though, I have had them and they look like a whitehead, once the tooth is out it should go

Governoress86 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:09:36

It kind of does look like a white head. Its a hard lump a bit sore when i press on it. When i bite down on the tooth now there is no sharp pain. Im hoping the dentist will extract it tomorrow

LightastheBreeze Mon 02-Jan-17 20:20:14

I imagine he will just extract it tomorrow as it was going to be extracted anyway. My dentist told me the white lump was generally caused by an infection in the root, if the tooth is good you can have a root canal done but the tooth sounds bad anyway.
Good luck for tomorrow

Governoress86 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:23:12

Thank you for your reply. The tooth is beyond repair. I left it too long due to my fear of dentists but i can not wait to have it out now its driving me mad.

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:18:11

I spoke to my dentist practice and still cant get me in until 10/1/17 instead of the 17/1/17.

However the pimple got a bit bigger ladt night and the gum was sore. I woke up this morning to find that it must of burst but still white flat spot there. Im in no pain and can bite down on the toothwith no pain.

Do i still have an infection?

LightastheBreeze Tue 03-Jan-17 14:57:37

Sorry you couldn't get in to have it taken out today.

When I had this, the dentist said that it was like a chronic infection in my tooth root and although it would get better, it wouldn't get completely better and really the only cure was root canal treatment or removal. If yours has subsided and you have no pain, mine was like that for ages, I would just carry on with the rinses and have it out next week.

I had a removal plan for mine as I had to have a few teeth removed and a partial denture fitted so it didn't seem to matter leaving it for a bit and I wasn't in a lot of pain, just occasionally a twinge and my gum would be tender, not enough for painkillers though.

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:07:43

Thats a relief to hear. I was looking on google and kept coming across horror stories about tooth infections that can turn deadly over night.

I originally had a filling in the tooth and it came out about 2 years ago and because of my phobia of dentists i left it and now im paying the price for it.

I keep getting a couple of twinges now and then and the gum goes a bit puffy but as long as it is draining im a bit more ease at the fact the infection is not just sitting there, if that makes sense.

Thank you all for the replies its been a real help xx

LightastheBreeze Tue 03-Jan-17 15:21:43

Oh, there are some horror stories on Google, Obviously any infection isn't good but according to google I would be dead by now with all the tooth and gum problems I have had. At least yours is in a place which won't show it's missing and your other teeth will move very slightly to fill the gap a bit

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:34:33

I know i shouldnt google stuff but i just cant help it.

Im not worried about having a missing tooth. Once it is out the problem will be gone and no more hassle with it.

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:03:56

It has started to niggle a bit now and its aching my cheekbone a bit and i can feel the pimple starting to return.

Is this how yours was lightasthebreeze?

Mrsmorton Tue 03-Jan-17 16:06:53

Op, do you have health anxiety?

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:10:09

Yes i suffer with health anxiety and panic attacks along with general anxiety

LightastheBreeze Tue 03-Jan-17 16:15:46

Try not to worry too much, the dentist didn't give me any antibiotics for mine as it was a chronic infection which they wouldn't have helped much with, It's probably worse as you are thinking about it and worrying it, mine was coming and going for several months but cleared up when the tooth was taken out. probably try to eat on the other side.

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:18:37

I do apologise for the questions i just find it hard not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now