Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rectal biopsy- advice please

(1 Post)
MrsM42 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:29:18

Hi,

My 3 year old has suffered from Chronic constipation since he was born. He didn't pass meconium until he was over 24 hours old, and it wasn't like my other children's - it was like rabbit droppings. I have been back and forward to the GP and our local hospital since he was a few weeks old. They have steadily increased his laxative dose, but even with osmotic and stimulant laxatives, it is not uncommon for him to go up to 7 weeks in between bowel movements.

He hsa just been in the RVI in Newcastle and has had a rectal biopsy taken to test for Hirschsprung's Disease. The consultant said that if it cam back negative, he would be discharged back to his local hospital for treatment, but if it was positive then he would remian under the care of the RVI. His Aunt suffers fro Hirschsprungs, and although it dramatically increases his chances of having it, they are still only 5%.

My big concern is that he will be discharged back to the same people who have done nothing for 3 years except increase his laxative dose. The result of this is that he is in constant pain but still not able to have a poo! During the biopsy, the surgeon told us that he was impacted throughout his entire colon, despite being on movicol, lactulose and picosulfate.

Can anyone please tell me if there are any other options for me to ask about? I really don't want to just keep on increasing the laxatives he takes when clearly, they are not working! He has been taking these particular laxatives for a year now and he is still not able to clear anything out of his colon. I really just don't want to be palmed off again, butI don't know if there is anything else or any other treatment that I can talk to them about and discuss with them.

If anyone has any advice or ideas then please let me know.

Thanks in advance from a sleep-deprived and desperate Mum x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now