Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dosette pack for multiple meds

(11 Posts)
alphaechokiwi Fri 30-Dec-16 20:54:26

I have an elderly relative who is getting increasingly befuddled with her multiple medications. It would be ideal if her medication could be dispensed in a blister dosette pack. She tells me that this service is not available where she lives (Wales). I think she might be confused about this and am researching it for her.
She did buy a weekly dispenser but never got to grips with sorting her tablets herself.

So I wonder can anyone tell me how she can go about getting this done? Is it a request via the pharmacy? GP? Would every pharmacy offer the service (she uses Lloyd's)?
Many thanks for any advice!

Musicaltheatremum Fri 30-Dec-16 21:19:19

I'm in Scotland. Not all pharmacies offer it. Worth while phoning around local pharmacies. I know in Scotland Lloyds does it.

alphaechokiwi Fri 30-Dec-16 21:26:51

Thanks music, I'll ring around the pharmacies in her area, there are a few in the town.
Maybe Boots if her current pharmacy won't

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 30-Dec-16 21:30:03

Definitely give local pharmacies a call. It's blister packs you need. Lots of pharmacies do provide that service. The GP surgery might be able to advise as well.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 30-Dec-16 21:30:37

You could speak to the GP surgery. They will know which chemists offer this. They can then liase for a weekly script and delivery to be set up. It's relatively easy once you get going.

notquitegrownup2 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:32:37

England here but I had to go via the GP to get one for my mum. The pharmacy wouldn't sanction it, as clearly its a costly exercise.

If the GP won't then a Social Services assessment may flag it up as a need. I know that they can provide carers to administer drugs - that's probably our next step as Mum is now struggling to know which day it is.

Best of luck

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 30-Dec-16 21:34:41

can you ask at her usual pharmacy if they would fill her dosette? some do.

TroysMammy Fri 30-Dec-16 21:38:11

I'm in Wales, Swansea and they do them, mainly Well pharmacies, previously Co-op and Lloyds but we call them Nomad Trays or just Trays.

CMOTDibbler Fri 30-Dec-16 21:43:23

I think the GP has to agree to it, due to the increased cost, but my parents originally had theirs with Boots, and now have theirs from Lloyds. I seem to remember Boots stopped filling them locally and they got produced at a larger branch

HemanOrSheRa Fri 30-Dec-16 21:53:16

Yy CMOT It requires a weekly script to be issued direct to the pharmacy. There really shouldn't be a problem though, OP. Although you may have to embelish the problem slightly to be on the safe side.

Nomad trays. That is very interesting Troys. I shall file that away in my memory.

alphaechokiwi Fri 30-Dec-16 22:13:32

Thanks so much everybody. Hopefully I can get this sorted for her now that I know what to ask for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now