Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Switching to cerazette contraceptive please help!

(12 Posts)
user1483045079 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:24:03

Hi everyone,

Im going through a really tough time in my relationship at the moment. I am engaged and getting married in 2018 and everything is great with the exception of our sex life. I literally have no sex drive, I never think about sex never initiate sex and never feel turned on. It's like a chore to me and I feel nothing.

I absolutely hate it and of course it's so hard for my fiancé. He feels I'm not sexually attracted to him as I never want sex or give enough affection. I should point out that I am definitely sexually attracted to him!! I have been crying myself to sleep over this and I've decided I must sort things out.

I read that the contraceptive pill can really lower your libido. I'm currently taking microgynon 30 and I read that it surpresses your hormone release, stops ovulation and surpresses testosterone, all of which would lower libido. I saw my doctor today who suggested switching to cerazette mini pill as apparently this doesn't stop ovulation and won't suppress the hormones so much.

Does anyone have any experience of this? How do you find taking cerazette? What happens with your periods if you have no pill free week, does it just come randomly? As currently I know the exact day I will get it every time

I remember before I ever took the pill I had a higher sex drive. I'm desperate to find something that will help as its really hurting my relationship. Has anyone found that taking cerazette has increased their libido?

My other option is to come off the pill entirely but we aren't keen on using condoms and I absolutely do not want to get pregnant

dementedpixie Thu 29-Dec-16 21:26:29

Cerazette is more likely to stop you ovulating than other mini pills and it stopped my periods completely for the 3/4 years I took it. I have heard stories of it lowering sex drive so don't know if it will help. What about a copper coil - no hormones

dementedpixie Thu 29-Dec-16 21:30:49

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/sexual-health/a8501/cerazette-desogestrel/

Gingerbreadmam Thu 29-Dec-16 21:31:48

I took cerazette for a while and it was a great contraception, i spotted almost constantly on it so could never dtd.

Switched to micronor which is also a.mini pill but suited me much better however like with most pills i think it does affect your sex drive.

Off mine now as ttc and i did notice it ramped up once off it although seems to have tailed off a bit now

sweetkitty Thu 29-Dec-16 21:36:50

With cerazette you are unlikely to get a period, you may get spotting. I think all pills kill libido a bit after all they make your body think it's already pregnant so no ovulation, i certainly don't get the massive jump in libido at certain times of the month that I used to.

jugotmail Thu 29-Dec-16 21:39:38

When i changed to cerazette from the combined pill my sex drive went up, my moods improved, no bleeding at all and i lost weight - win all round - but others have not got on with it at all. Its definitely worth making the swap and seeing how you feel but if you feel its not working for you and you have an understanding gp/nurse go back and discuss with them as there are both other pill options and alternative contraception if you dont want the pills. Lots of people find that as the pill is hormonal you particular rhythms will mean that it affects you completly differently to your friend/sister on the same pill.

Wolpertinger Thu 29-Dec-16 21:39:59

I got spotting/bleeding for about 3 months. Was on the verge of giving up when it stopped and no more bleeding ever since.

It's great - no more periods!

user1483045079 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:49:59

Wow didn't realise you don't get periods anymore, the doctor told me I would still get them but have no idea when they'd come it would be random (although he didn't seem to know much!)

I guess worth giving it a go and trialling it.

I definitely don't want the coil, the thought of it really freaks me out. Do other forms of contraception eg. Injection stop ovulation too? And is it correct that you still ovulate when taking cerazette?

playpause Thu 29-Dec-16 21:53:11

I've been on Cerezatte or Cerelle (just a different brand, I think) for the last 2.5 years. I spotted/bled on and off for the first 2-3 months and haven't had any kind of bleeding since.

I have almost zero libido, and am pretty sure it's this pill that's doing it as it was pretty high before. I didn't notice it straight away but would say in the last 12 months it has seriously dropped, though there are probably other factors e.g. work stress. I plan to stop taking it in the new year as we will start TTC... time will tell on the sex drive front!

If we weren't going to start TTC, I think I'd come off this pill and use condoms instead. Like others have said, I think all contraceptive pills dampen libido to some extent. Good luck with whichever route you choose to go down.

playpause Thu 29-Dec-16 21:56:15

Re: minipill and ovulation

I'm pretty sure it's not cut and dry. The main way it prevents pregnancy is by thickening the mucus in the cervix, therefore stopping the sperm entering the uterus. In some cases it also stops ovulation but not for everyone, and not all of the time.

A quick google tells me the injection stops ovulation (as well as doing the mucus thing and stopping implantation) but sure someone else will know more!

dementedpixie Thu 29-Dec-16 21:57:57

If you read the link it says it does stop ovulation. The injection made me bleed constantly and put on loads of weight. It can delay a return to fertility after stopping it too (injection)

sweetkitty Thu 29-Dec-16 22:04:54

I've been on cerazette for 4 years and haven't bled once its amazing, I had terrible periods now I have none!

I'm finished having babies DH has had the snip too (just in case) so I'm not worried about fertility. I don't have much of a sex drive but think that's just a busy life Abs a chronic illness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now